PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan replacement /OEM vs. Aftermarket

SouthernExposure
06-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Hi,

Due to an oil leak I need to replace my oil pan. My question is can I use an aluminum oil pan instead of the standard steel that was used.

Thanks for the input.

Tony
SE

Forrest
06-02-2003, 10:37 AM
For the most part yes. What engine are you running?

SouthernExposure
06-02-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm running a
1989 5.7L Chevy with an OMC Cobra Outdrive

Tony

Forrest
06-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Sometimes tough to find a marine version for a small-block Chevorlet with the correct side dipstick block-off and a one-piece rear-main seal if that what it is. Always get the type of oil pan that uses a dipstick tube that is attached to the bottom of the pan, rather than use the dip-sitck tube hole in the block. I recently saw this aluminum marine oil pan with a "passenger" side dipstick tube block-off on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26454&item=2415182478), but it never sold. It's probably for a two piece rear main seal. I would have probably bought it I could have used it. Good luck!

MOP
06-02-2003, 10:40 PM
A thing I do to steel pans is to paint them with atleast 5 coats, one good primer coat then color of choice. After installation I then shot them with two fairly heavy coats of automotive under coating. As long as you don't break the surface it should last a indefinitly.