PDA

View Full Version : Home From AOTH III

boldts
06-01-2003, 11:21 PM
As we drove down to KY on Thursday through various rain showers, I was very optimistic about the weather for this years annual gathering. Let me just tell anyone who always listens to the weather channel. DON'T! :D

Yes, we got hit with some rain on Thursday evening, but on Friday morning as I opened the curtain in our room, the sun was in the air and there was the sound of Donzi owners warming up their horses.

We gathered in the yacht club for a wonderful class on propeller technology. The information presented by Steve McLelland and Scott Morgan from Turbo Propellers was very interesting. Scott explained the how props are designed and built along with all the differences in different prop designs. Did you all know that a Clever prop does not have to be used in a ventilated condition? I had always thought that those props were for high X dimensions and designed to run partly out of the water. We also learned that many of the older prop designs of the 60's and 70's are being pulled back off the shelves. Many of the newer boat designs are working with the older prop designs. We were offered special AOTH prices on both Turbo's 3 and 4 blade props along with an opportunity to try any of their props we wished to try on our boats. Scott Morgan even brought a few experimental Turbo props for the opportunity to get our opinion of the props and how they worked on our boats.

We next jumped into our boats and made a 37 mile ride to our lunch spot at the Lees Ford Resort. Doug Ash and his staff were awaiting our arrival and offered us an area of the restaurant with a great over-looking view of the marina. After lunch, we were invited to board and view a simply fantastic Sumerset Custom Houseboat. These homes on the water are all custom built for their owners and the quality is second to none. I counted 4 bed rooms with the master also having it's own bathroom with whirlpool bath. Nancy Rimas from Sumerset was on board and answered all our questions. Thoughts for next year's AOTH IV may include a dinner cruise aboard one of these beautiful boats.

On the return trip back to the Jamestown Resort, many used the opportunity to ride in a model of Donzi they had not experienced yet. By this point, the Horses were wide awake and running wild. Later Friday evening, we gathered in the yacht club again with snacks and refreshments. Thanks go out to Jerry Eisele who supplied nachos and dip for everyone to enjoy. I was especially proud and honored to meet Jeff Dykema, his father Dale and girl friend Sarah today. Jeff has an 18' Classic named "Hard Candy" that has been modified to allow him to enjoy driving his Donzi. Jeff is paralyzed, but doesn't let this stop him from getting out and running his Donzi the way the boats were designed to be run. Jeff hails from Holland MI and is a true inspiration to all who met him this weekend.

Saturday morning we awoke to find that a few others had joined us through the night and early morning hours. We now had a 28' Maltese Magnum in our presence owned by a Mr. Bob Dean from IL. Anyone who took the opportunity to check this piece of history in boat design out, found a beautiful Aronow design with a very knowledgeable owner. I will remember this boat for the rest of my life as I was later invited to take a ride on the boat and given the opportunity to drive it. The winds were rather high on Saturday making the lake a fun challenge to drive. Has Bob gave me the wheel and we turned her into the wind, he told me to put the throttles down. I felt as though I was in the 60's running an offshore race from Miami to Key West. I became Don Aronow if for only a few minutes. I will never forget this moment in time. Another Donzi that arrived over night was a simply perfect 1986 20' Minx owned by Mr. Don Carone. In the Z and ZX series, we now had a 22, 28 ZXO, 29, 30 Black Widow, and a fabulous 33ZX in attendance. Reindl Powerboats allowed Byron Scholle to bring a 28' One Design Bat Boat so called this because of the side wing design of the boat. For those of you who got to ride or drive this boat, it was a fabulous opportunity. Anyone with the opportunity to drive one of these boats in the 24' size at a APBA race should do it. When I rode in the boat, again a first for me, I loved it.

We started the morning with an opportunity to test Turbo props on our boats. All we had to do was bring the boat to the launch ramp, turn it around, and Scott Morgan did all the work. He pulled our prop off and installed the Turbo prop we wanted to try. I was shown the difference between their new Lightning prop and the regular Turbo prop. After trying a couple of the different props, I found that the Turbo 22" that I am currently running was the best prop for my application. Of course, when I add more HP to the boat in the future, the prop testing starts all over again. If anyone has not talked to me about the gains I experienced by switching from a Mirage to the Turbo brand. I gained 3 MPH and my 22 Classic went from an uncomfortable boat to drive, to a tame, well handling in any type of water, that I can actually use the trim button in the throttle handle boat. With the Mirage, my Classic ran 65.6. With the Turbo, the boat ran 68.7 and since adding a Hydromotive nose cone, the boat now runs 69.8 with a 22" Turbo.

After lunch, we all headed for one of the must visit sights on the lake called 76 Falls. This is a nice 15 to 20 minute ride and a popular hang out for all the performance boats on the lake. You'll also find a Marti Graw atmosphere here with many houseboats full of vacationing party goers. One of the folks rafting off with us had their dog along. This dog would swim after just about anything thrown in the water including swimmers. Something that I have done every year that I have visited this water fall, is to drive the Donzi behind the falls. There is just enough space to drive your boat behind the water fall and the actual stone wall of the falls. I've made it a tradition every time we visit 76 Falls at AOTH. Storm clouds rolled in and everyone decided to pull up the anchors and head back to Jamestown. Because of the high winds, the lake was ruff and I thought a real joy to drive the Donzi design on. Felt a few drops, but still no rain to ruin any part of the day. After dropping Beth and Allison off at the resort, I decided to put the boat on the trailer and get ready for dinner. This is when Mr. Dean offered the ride in his Magnum. Allison and I shut the Donzi off and jumped at the opportunity. We passed Beth waiting at the launch ramp for us, and decided we should also pick her up so she could enjoy the ride. You know the rest of this story already. When we got back, I told Beth I would put the Donzi on the trailer. Actually, after the Magnum ride, I wanted to take my Donzi out and run her the way she was designed to be run. I needed to burn some fuel anyway for the trip home. That was the most fun I've had in the boat since the day we brought her home to Columbus, OH. There is nothing like the feeling of a Donzi just dancing from wave top to wave top. I ran her wide open and fully trimmed for about 4 or 5 times around the area outside the resort. It was so much fun to feel how she handled the different wave configurations from the hard winds.

I put the Donzi away and made her ready to go home the following morning. What a wonderful weekend and gathering AOTH III has been so far with more to come. We ate dinner which was no hassle for anyone as Jerry Eisele had collected the money for the meal and made all the preparations with the Jamestown staff. The winds had dyed and it was a nice atmosphere to get everyone out of the stuffy indoor dinning room area, so we all went out onto the covered deck sitting right on the water. I thanked those that helped me put AOTH III together this year. We also held an auction of donated items by the attendees. The money collected from this auction helps with the expenditures obtained in doing this gathering every year. I have also made it a tradition to share these monies with the Donzi Registry Harbormaster. Scot VanAlstine has never asked for a cent from me, but with-out this website, I would have never met the now many Donzi friends I have. Scot has always let me advertise our club shirts and our gathering dates here on the Registry. After 3 years now, I have most of your first names down. I'm terrible with names. This year Beth and I brought our 6 year old daughter to her first Donzi gathering. You all welcomed her and even though she sometimes bugged the heck out of you, smiled and answered all her questions. She absolutely loves our Donzi! You don't know how many times one of you would pull up next to us as we went down the lake and she would be telling me to go faster. She always wants to be the line leader. Look out in the future for this Donzi girl. When she pries the Donzi keys out of my hands, she'll be gunning for you guys. :)

Thank-you to all of you who attended. I hope everyone got home with no issues. You all make this gathering the wonderful outing that it is. With-out your participation and support, "Awakening of the Horses" would not exist. As I watched Tom and Kathy Smith leave with their 33ZX Saturday afternoon, I realized how much of an effort all of you put into attending this gathering. Boy is that boat big sitting on the trailer and I'm sure it's no piece of cake to tow either.

You all are the best!

Bigbroadjumper
06-02-2003, 06:16 AM
Scott, we made it home without any problems, thanks for the great time. It was a pleasure meeting everyone who attended. And we look forward to the next event we can attend,and thanks for the kind words.

Bob

harbormaster
06-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Scot You are too kind. I appreciate all of you guys support.

bverd
06-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Another great event... Thanks for putting it all together for us Bolts. Great job!!

--bverd

ITTLFLI
06-02-2003, 09:06 AM
Great job scott! It was an awesome time!!

roadtrip se
06-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Scattered brain shots from AOTH3:

Understatement from Grizzley about following the Bad Tat and the SE. "I got tired of looking at those rooster tails, so I went by you both." No Randy, you left us standing still and we were running 76-78!

Trambuello runs a mean 18! I'm impressed...

Bateman, the Bad Tat needs a few more wires hanging from the transom. Way to handle that beast by the way!

Celene knows how to drive a Donzi. Just push that throttle all the way down and let her rip, right Celene?

People will drool over the most worn out, tired X-18s in the world. C'mon guys, that thing had lawn chairs in it!

Ranman, that little 18 rocks bro. I kept and eye on you all weekend and you were always up front!

Tim Floyd is a pretty man! His boat ain't too bad either.

Jerry Eisle looked like a kid at Christmas running that new "Scorpion 22". Beautiful boat, Jerry.

Scott Boldt is getting really good at this. Allison is a real peice of work, endless energy!
Thanks for holding the flame.

Donzi, if you are listening, Donzi logo wind shirts sold for $70+ at auction. That's seventy dam dollars! Get with the program.

Sam will run a 16 in anything and rub it into those who won't, Jamie!

Jamie's 16 is insane!

Brad's X18 is gorgeous and I like it without the stickers.

Greg, time for more power in the red head, much more power!

It's just right that Bruce Donze is finally running a Donzi. Congratulations Bruce.

Prettiest Minx I have ever seen. That cream gel is starting to grow on me.

Joe Prussiano, way to try with that balky motor.
Don't feel bad, I got a little laundry list of stuff to take care of after this weekend, too. Thanks for capturing my rump in the bilge, Brad!

Scott and Steve from Turbo are true gentlemen who love fast anything. They shamed me into running a prototype on Saturday and switching it with my Hydro at the docks. Ran great and I will own one!

Tom, the stripe and lift ring on the Tahoe is priceless and why is your bilge always cleaner than mine? I must know the secret!

Byron, thanks for bringing the Bat Boat and the races! Run what you brung brother!

Bandit, I'll call ahead before I buzz the tower again next year. Unauthorized fly-bys result in no pictures.

Goatee, buy a boat brother! Get all that digital film out too, man. Enjoyed having you in my boat with that big bug catching grin!

Best launch goes to the ZXO Scorpion, hand signals and all with the lady behind the wheel. 10.0 on my scale.

Big boat guys, thanks for not killing us with your wakes and showing them off. Interior, the Don didn't need no stinking interior!

It was safe, the people were great, the weather cooperated even when the forecast said it wouldn't, and we had a blast!

A lot of people really missed out, based on the number of missed calls on my cell phone. Hope to see more of you next year at AOTH4.

See all of you again later this summer!

Todd and Jill Somerville

Ranman
06-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Todd,

You summed it up brother.

tamburello
06-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Scott -

Thanks for hosting an awesome event! It was great to finally meet you and the rest of the Donzi crew. I had the best two days I've had thus far on my Donzi. Great people, great boats, great weather, and a beautiful lake.

Todd-

You crack me up, that was a great summary! We should probably add that we all need to make sure that we still have oil in our engines now that you are armed with that oil sucker. Great to meet you and Jill and see the sweet Somerville Edition firsthand.

- Jeff

BigGrizzly
06-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Me too Todd. We missed a lot of you guys and Gals!!! Even the little Donzi-ites had fun, we need to include more of the offspring.
One thing I learned at AOTHIII was that Mrs. B. Verd likes fast Donzi rides better than Mr. B Verd. She and Jill S. must have worked in the Roller Derby at some point in their lives!

tangoamy
06-02-2003, 03:12 PM
You've got it...the faster the better. I love it! What an amazing boat you've got there, Randy. Thanks again for the fun ride.

AOTH III was a great event once again, and Lake Cumberland is still as beautiful and peaceful as ever. Loved it! It was so nice to run the X-boat on it again. This is always one event we won't miss. It was good to see everyone.

Cheers,
Tangoamy

Bandit
06-03-2003, 11:45 AM
What a great time!

It was good seeing old friends and meeting new.

Thanks Scott B and Scott V for getting this group of people together.

Todd S., I thought that I had strategically placed my camera to not miss a shot...but damn boy you came by to fast for me to get a pic off. There's always next yr :D

Cumberland is my backyard and anybody visiting the area is welcomed to stop by the Bandit.

Jbesst
06-03-2003, 03:36 PM
The old good news bad news! Good, Great time, great people. Bad, We had to leave early. Good, Our Scott came through his trip to the hospital OK. Bad, We had to leave early. Good We made it back as he was being released from recovery(an underpowered 100k miles van pulling a 22 Classic can go from Jamestown to Columbus in less than 5 hours!Bad,We had to leave early and blew a tire. Good, Had 4 spares(THANKS Sam and Bill S.)Bad,
We had to leave early and Karen missed the auction! Good,(for all of you) Karen missed the auction Bad,We had to leave early.Good, Made new friends,visited with old friends, put faces with names and "Salsa" ran great(Jerry the digital clock doesn't work, boat is not perfect)and Scott B. please keep doing AOTH's....GREAT JOB! PS Jerry just kidding about the clock and thankyou for all the help. The best to all, Karen and Jim see you next year.

Hotspare
06-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Finally Back Home from AOTH ..... We extended our tour of the midwest for another week with Donzi in tow ........... BIG FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a great time at AOTH meeting most of you guys for the first time was a trip ......... I only thought I had Donzitus bad, till I met this clan ....... ROCK ON !!!!!!! Also learned a few things about my 22 ,,,, Like using a long 3/32 bit to clear my speedo pickup..........LOL. Gotta Love It !!!!!!!!! Jamestown Resort and Lake Cumberland seem the perfect mix for this...... We're already looking forward to next year ............ Thank's Scott, and everyone else involved in organizing this........ IT WAS A BLAST !!!!!!!!!! Bruce ......... :D

ToonaFish
06-08-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm home for a sec, still have a round trip four more hours to pick up the dog, but wanted to let everyone know that I continue to float over the fun I had in Cumberland! So many great experiences, just too much fun.

Got all the gossip from the dog show and the insider scoop on the Belmont, but the best news of the week is that Forrest got hitched! CONGRATULATIONS TO FORREST AND GOOD LUCK TO JENNY!!!

Bunches of sleepy snoring,

Celene

ToonaFish
06-09-2003, 04:21 AM
Oh, and Forrest, your sister said I could have the "stinky sixteen"... see you next week!

goatee
06-09-2003, 10:59 PM
had a blast! and todd,, you hit the nail on the head man! i had perma grin and cotton mouth all weekend,,, and i dont smoke. :D