PDA

View Full Version : Bennet Sport Tabs

MOP
08-13-2003, 07:48 AM
I've been eye balling the Bennet Sport tabs, they look like they should be a good alteritive to the K planes for guys on a budget. Has anyone tried them or have some input?

FASTEDDIE
08-13-2003, 08:02 AM
M.O.P.
Yeah I had them and their junk. Every set I had bent from landing hard on the water. Scot V had a used pair of K tabs. They are better than new bennets.I went though 2 sets of Bennets on my 94 22 Classic.Their also is a cheap brand called "Sportsmaster". Watch out for those.

oldLenny
08-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Fasteddie...have you, or anyone you know, tried the LENCO MARINE "race tabs"?...electrics instead of hydralic, and have transom mounted plate similar to K-planes...Are these any good?

http://www.lencomarine.com/racingtabs.html?1060783614000

Barry Phillips
08-13-2003, 04:09 PM
M.O.P. I was speaking with a guy at the launch ramp this past weekend who broke a Benent tab on his Baja, the boat looked to be arround 27 to 30' with a twin supercharged 454s, he was claiming 80 mph. He replaced the Benents with a nice unit from Dana Marine, ( www.danamarineproducts.com (http://www.danamarineproducts.com) ) check out this web site, at $1,7OO Dana's mini tab is not cheap but no were near as pricey as the Mini K Plains used on the 22 SE. I think a high performance tab like K-Plains are to much tab for a 16 anyway. I think you might be OK with a standard heavy duty tab such as the Bennet Sport Tabs you are thinking about, those dual ram Lenco Marine unit look interesting to. The 16 is a lot lighter than a 22, so I would go with a high quality standard sport tab. The dual ram tabs are rated for boats that run over 60 mph, so I don't know why Donzi uses them on the 22 anyway. When I ordered my 18 I left the Bennets Tabs off the list, at the time Donzi was doing less custom orders with the Classics, so I never bothered ordering tabs, after I got the boat I never put tabs in it, at WOT I did not think the boat need them anyway, they would have helped in the rough stuff. You are lucky you have a choice and don't have plug up the old holes.

GOOD LUCK
SO-SLO

CDMA
08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
FWIW Geoo's sport tabs held up at 104 on his boat and keep working at 70 on my boat...

Chris

Not saying we aren't pushing the limits though...

BigGrizzly
08-13-2003, 06:19 PM
I use the bennett on my 18 and my Criterion and havn't had any problems but thre ones on the Corsican are only 32 years old and the Criterion are only 20 years. so I really can't say if they will last a life time. the only parts to ever be replaced were two screws o the Corsican

MOP
08-13-2003, 08:16 PM
I have had a lot of Bennets, I did tear one off years back on a bad landing. I am getting to old for that stuff now! The Sport tab appears heavier, just been thinking as I have standard Bennets now. I have my eye on another Donzi that will need tabs if I get my hands on it. Its still in the bargining stages so who knows.

JP BRESCIA
08-13-2003, 09:04 PM
I installed the Lenco Electrics last year. I have not had a problem. I never went that fast so my speed is no test of them. However, I like to run in the ocean and I will fly once in a while. wink There is no bending of the tab so far. I am also very happy with the response of the actuator.

David O
08-14-2003, 05:57 AM
MOP
Keep in mind the service from Bennett is OUTSTANDING. If ever needed.

MOP
08-14-2003, 07:35 AM
Bennets are very easy to fix about the only thing that dies are solinoids and occationaly ram seals. The Lencos are change outs, time will tell.

RPD
08-14-2003, 05:09 PM
I got the Lenco's for my 16OB.... didn't like the way all the weight (they are quite heavy) was behind the transom... I already have 450 lbs of outboard there.... also, the actuator bolts onto the plane from below, so the bolt heads protrude into the water flow.... the Bennet's don't do that.

Forrest
08-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Check out what this guy in Canada is building as a retro-fit upgrade for both dual- and single-ram Bennett tabs for about $300.

http://www.fastboats.info/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11319