PDA

View Full Version : 22 AE part 2

CDMA
08-12-2003, 07:20 PM
First we polish the trailer...
Its not exactly a mirror finish but it sure looks a lot better then it did. I used ZEP commercial aluminum cleaner, then 3M superduty on a buffing wheel followed by 3M aluminum polish.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA13.jpg

Then we bunk...

I wanted a bunk system that craddled the whole boat and kept my newly straight and buffed bottom stratch free and straight. I started with a 14 foot set of keel bunks that will support most of the weight. I tied them into the Rolls V guide in the bow to give myself a bit more of a guide on then the standard v bunk set up. Outer bunks will be fit with the boat in place. Note the Mohawk carpet thanks to Dr. Dan.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA8.jpg

Then we load...

Here you can see the outer bunks in place after much tribulation. While it does take some serious set up work I still feel the Rolls trailer is an amazingly built piece. If you just want to drop your boat on the trailer and it fit perfectly it isn't for you but with some effort I like some of the features it provides. As always this is only my opinion and is known to be wrong..often.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA9.jpg

A better view of the extension box and trim tabs...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA10.jpg

It was not easy to get those bunks set up like that but I wanted the boat to be stable and as low as possible on the trailer. Next up for the trailer I will cut, fit and weld a 5 foot non load supporting "nerf bar" set up under where the Arneson will go. I have a piece of the Aluminum I beam the trailer is made of and am going to fabricate a removable extension of the main frame with a perpendicular piece at the end. This will provide the Arneson, extension box and hardware some protection on the road and also allow me to mount lights at the end of the rig as opposed to 7 feet forward eek!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA11.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA12.jpg

After two days of trailer I am ready to get back to the boat. Feels good she is movable again though and I can at least take her outside and wash off all the dust.

In other news actually Forrest's check after much miscomunication between me and my banker (mom) met the post man. AND...Baxter's paper work made it to page 17 of the list.

Chris

A little overtired and punchy....ugh mold making time

Ed Donnelly
08-12-2003, 09:57 PM
I get so depressed looking a your pics and reading your posts. I buff out my boat and it looks great Then I see what you have just done,now my work doesn't look so good anymore. I buffed,polished,and pinstriped the trailor and it looks like a million dollars. Then you show us what a little of your elbow grease can do on your trailer.Mine now looks like s**t compared to yours. Please show us one or two of your not so perfect attempts at anything boat related( if there are any)It might give some of us mere mortals hope....Jealous Ed

MOP
08-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Trailer looks great, do you feel like the Karate Kid? Even with a buffer I know you still did a lot of hand work. Thats the first Rolls that I have gotten a good look at, it sure looks like a great platform. Between the trailer and the boat its a super project. What does the extention box do, is it just to allow for the transmission or does it also do anything for performance.

Dredgeking
08-13-2003, 01:44 PM
it's scary how nice your project is going to turn out. there are a lot of members whose projects are as good or better than "custom" riggers and such.

this is why i love this board.

mattyboy
08-13-2003, 01:50 PM
:cool: :cool:

matty
gotta love red!!!

Forrest
08-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks Mrs. Allard!

Looks fantastic Chris!

Barry Phillips
08-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi Chris, this boat is going to rock, I think the center console is a neat idea, it would be a great place to mount Gaffrig zero effort controls if you are left handed or converting to left hand steering. I am anxious to see the custom wind shield you am taking about.

SO-SLO

oldLenny
08-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Chris, just a "tip" here. For the mold making (plug/tool) I use MDF , "medium density fiberboard (Ranger or whatever you have there where you live.) It is available from 1/8" and up in thickness in 1/8" increments. It routs like butter, sands like a dream and finishes perfectly.

For the parts that I am just trying to quickly "slap" together, i spray a sanding sealer on it first, (in my case the sanding sealer is part of the finish lacquer) and then sand between coats with about 280 and lay down 3 heavy lacquers over it. Then I wax the thing a few times with mold release and in general don't rub it off if the finish isn't crucial 'cuz you can polish the mold afterwords. Then I just hit it with tooling gel (heavy, about 35 mils) and thats it. Lay up the 1-2 "skin-outs" within a few hours of the tooling gel-coat spraying, (stage B curing) and if you don't want to chance any print-thru from the re-enforcings wait about 5 days before laying anything else up the the "skin-out". My molds,...(seriously) have about 10 layers of matt before any re-enforcings. I would use Core-mat to re-enforce the mold, it doesn't have any print-thru abilities...by the way, the MDF is now available "slit" for making complex curves much the same as the Balsa and Core-Cell.

This is just a heads up as to what I do to make parts and by no means a demeaning post...call me if you want, 250.474.4005, I am three hours behind you...

By the way, what tranny are you putting in?

If this is a "one off" then I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything I have said :D

CDMA
08-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Rick,

I have a similar set up on my 18 Rolls and I find it works great. However I never drive my boat on the trailer. I either line it on or guide it on from the water. I am much more concerned with how the boat sits on the trailer and is supported then ease of loading.

Also under the waterline of the boat is original gelcoat. It was in too good shape to paint.

Lenny,

The part was going to be a one off but I have decided to go molded... I will be in touch.

Barry,

The windshield should be different. Really cool I think. That will take a little longer though for pictures.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I love to hear all you have to say ( good and bad). I am open to any suggestions no matter how wild.

Chris

God may have rested on Sunday but I have more energy...

seano
08-14-2003, 01:59 PM
lookin good chris, keep up the hard work...it's paying off!

tamburello
08-15-2003, 10:51 AM
WOW, we are impressed to say the least. You're making a sweet custom 22 and doing it right. Thanks for sharing the progress on this project, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Did I miss it or is there no drain plug on that there transom?