PDA

View Full Version : Slipping into gear

swede1
08-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Just tried out my Donzi el pescador for the first time the other day....everything went great except for a minor concern as I was getting back to trailer the boat....as I was maneuvering around the dock and the trailer, I noticed that the transmission was slow getting into gear..primarily reverse....and since I am not quite used to maneuvering it yet, it would be quite loud going into gear because I had the engine reved up slightly.....

I checked the lines feeding in from the remote, and they seem to be moving pretty good....what other things I need to look at is over my head at this moment....but willing to learn :)

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Fredric

Cuda
08-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Not sure which trannies you have. My Formula has twin disc 502's and they are a little slower to engage than a regular outdrive. They are both the same, so I don't think there is anything wrong with them.

swede1
08-12-2003, 08:04 PM
After spending a little time researching the subject I am getting a little bit more concerned. I have an 89 OMC Cobra 5.7.....apparently the symptoms I am having is indications that I may need some work done on the thing...or I may have to replace the gears...bummer.... had hopes this is something I could work on myself.

MOP
08-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Swede that I believe that is a King Cobra, first check the shift cable adjustment I have a hunch that's all that's wrong, or possibly the drive cable needs to be changed they get worn and many times stretched. But if you want to go the full route drain the drive. Check oil for color IE: gray to whitish indicating water intrusion. Check the magnet in the bottom oil drain for excess metal particles. If there is no magnet spread a little oil on a clean dark surface look for shiny bits. If everything looks Ok refill with OMC Hi Vis or Merc oil and try it again. Check the cable adjustment first!

swede1
08-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks,

I'll give that a shot first....could you hint me to a website that might provide some instrucions of how to go about doing it....or is it pretty brainless......... :rolleyes: :confused:

Thanks!

Greg K
08-13-2003, 03:40 PM
You'll want to check out this site for Cobra info
http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/

Good luck.