PDA

View Full Version : 1st run with engine new engine combo. Not Happy! Still running hot

Donzi22zx
05-29-2003, 08:22 PM
I took the boat out last night, water was calm, no other boats, temp about 65 degrees, perfect weather for testing. Well heres the #'s, 72.6 with the tide, 71.9 against the tide. 1 person in the boat , half a tank of gas, I was runing a 24p Bravo 1 prop. It tached out at 5250rpm at WOT,still had 150rpm to go before I hit the rev limiter. I am going to get Trottle up to lab finish the prop and see what it does. It is still running hot, 170 going slow-190 at WOT, but now it does it at all the time, at WOT and in no wake zones. I need to fix this problem, Could I have a blown head gasket? The boat runs great except for the running hot issue, do the MEFI 3 computer's pull timming when the motor is running hot and the alarm is triggered. I want to get the problem fix so I can enjoy my summer time hobby.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Bill, my understanding after all I went through is that the MEFI3 will not change the timing in your case.
I agree with many in the other thread, 190 should not alarm you out (Beep....). 200 and above yes.
I think a bad head gasket would show other signs first.

Just my two cents.... which is usually worthless.
Email me the new cell number or give me a shout.
Bryan

PS, don't have a used prop redone, buy the real deal from Throttle Up from the jump, trust me.

MOP
05-29-2003, 10:55 PM
Bryan if you are sure all the things done are fine, my feeling is like you say head gasket or air getting in some place and airing out the heads. Borrow a temperature gun run it and shoot the heads, if see more than 10-15 degrees difference you are probably right on the head gasket. Many times it will not leak water just high pressure gasses. But if both are real close on temp, you can try taking bumping the engine over with the thermostat housing removed and watch for bubbles providing you have a way to kill the ignition so it don't start, not familiar with the newer EFI circuts. If not there I'd go back over the intake stuff, run hard with a clear hose from the drive then go from there.

BUIZILLA
05-30-2003, 06:38 AM
There's a BIG difference between *running hot*, and *running warmer than normal*.

I wouldn't use the terminology *HOT* in your troubleshooting procedures..

Just my .02

J

MOP
05-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Buizilla is 100% right something is wrong, once over the 180's things can heat up real fast and ruin a good motor. I've seen guys dick around with an overheat till things really went south. Try pressurizing the block that will usually find any leaks, won't tell you where but at least you'll know if you do. Maybe you got a defective computer pack have you checked top time when running hard. Usually if its air in the system it will affect more than just top end.