PDA

View Full Version : Shifter/Throttle CORRECT reassmebly?

banfield
08-12-2003, 01:37 PM
Hi Guys, This is actually a question about a shifter in a 85 Chris Craft (which I have to sell to pay for the 22 Classic I bought from PaulO last month (ahhh, much better!)).

I took the shifter/throttle apart to relace the trium pieve it was attached to. Now, upon replacing it, I seem to have made the shift lock and the actual shifting out of synchronization. I may also have made it so that the throttle limit isn't quite right (but I'm not sure).

It is an circa 1997 shifter, titled Mercruiser classic 2000, with the throttle only button in the center of the axis of the shift/throttle lever... The trim and trailer buttons on the lever too. There's also a button on the bottomside of the handle of the lever that must be pressed in to shift it from neutral.

I removed the whole shifter/throttle lever assembly from the guts behind the gunnel (basically one large nut hidden behing the throttle only button). Now, I've replaced it, more or less as before, but I apparently got the shift interlock button slightly out of phase with the actual shifting. And as I said, perhaps the limit on the throttle is off too.

Can someone give me a text walkthrough on how they'd have put the lever back on this thing, doing it correctly so as to get the right orientation between all the different parts that need to be in order? Is it something like I should make sure it's now at idle and in neutral. Take it apart again, place the throttle lever in such a position so that the shift interlock is now engaged, then tighten it up again?

Thanks!
Don Banfield