PDA

View Full Version : Water problem?

z22owner
05-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Is it normal to have water drain from the boat after a day of boating. I pull the drain plugs (2) and about 1-2 gallons of H20 pour out. Its only when I am on the ramp incline that it drains. I see no water in the bilge when I am on the water.
Where could it be coming from?

KP

mattyboy
05-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Z22,
are you doing any water sports or swimming as people drip dry that water as to go somewhere?
also this happen to me, I reconnected my speedo not knowing the pitot tube was cracked, so check the bilge dry in the morning then go for a ride, dock and have water lots of it in the bilge, pump out cover come back the next day bilge dry and well it took me a couple of days to put 2 and 2 together,
just some things to check
Matty

z22owner
05-29-2003, 02:03 PM
matty,

I know it is not leaking on my feet, so my speedo connection is good, how do i know that it is not cracked somewhere in between. Is there an air test I can perform?

KP

mattyboy
05-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Z, not sure about an air test on the pitot tube does the speedo seem to work?? you can always just disconnect from the pickup and take a test drive also
some other things to check, I not all to familiar with the z22 but I would assume you have floor lockers and compartments that all drain into the back bilge, remove any locker so you can see if possible and before you splash drain boat well find the steepest hill and make sure it is dry,leave at the dock for an hour or so ( have lunch or something) then check all lockers and compartments for water, if none then go for a ride and re check. do you get rollers or big wakes that come up high on the hull?? maybe a hull and deck joint not sealed or a wave coming up on a cleat or fitting ?? in a 16 a roller can fill you up pretty fast, I'm sure you have but just in case, check the bellows and all your water hoses.
hope that helps
good luck

Matty

Mark Nelson
05-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Z22,

On mine I have to crank the bow up pretty high to get the front to completely drain (hills are pretty scarce where I live) I used to never pull the front drain plug (on the step) until one day when backing down the ramp. I opened the hatch to see all this water running from the front into the bilge. It turned out to be water that collected from previous day's outing and clean up.

My kids like to jump off the starboard side of the sun pad, climb up the ladder, and then jump again. Doing this over and over (as well as getting a little water in from the cannon-balls, etc) causes it to seep down where the sunpad/hatch closes and into the boat along the stringer. When the boat shifts forward (from passengers on the bow or rocking stern to bow from wave action) the water runs forward and disappears (collects just in front of the step) apparantly there is not enough fore-aft slope along the bottom to drain effectively.

If you're not taking any water in from passengers, etc. and you find the speedo tube is ok, you may want to check to make sure the step drain plug fitting is sealed off and/or that the plug is not cross-threaded or something.

Mark