PDA

View Full Version : Your boat is going to sink!

Stix Magill
08-10-2003, 06:33 PM
If you don't have a float switch on your bildge pump, you are taking a real chance on your boat sinking.
My auto switch saved my boat this weekend. Turns out the "boot" cracked and water was streaming in. If you don't have a float switch, get one and if you don't know what a outdrive boot is, learn.
I am going to have a new boot installed and have my Alpha SS replace the old Alpha 1.

This was scary folks...

Scott

Cuda
08-10-2003, 07:08 PM
I hate my float switches! I put a rock wrapped in a rag on top of the one in my 242. The float switch would get stuck in the on position, and I'd end up with dead batteries. I always keep mine on the trailer anyway, so I don't worry about it sinking.

I'll be very interested on how the SS works out on your Minx.

Stix Magill
08-10-2003, 07:30 PM
I always keep mine on the trailer anyway, so I don't worry about it sinking.
Cuda, I'm sorry to hear about that! If your boat ever sunk and you had "rapped a towel around a rock" and defeated the switch, your insurance company would be curious....
Hey, I've got an idea. Replace the switch! They need to be replaced often, but they are cheap.

I will post the performance before and after for the Minx and the Alpha SS upgrade.
Scott

Brad Lyon
08-10-2003, 07:44 PM
I found out by accident that I have a float switch on Friday night. I was cleaning up my boat for the 2nd Annual Lake St. Clair outing, great time by the way! I was spraying “Hot Wheels” in my engine compartment and flushing with the hose (boat was on trailer in driveway) when I noticed that the light on my bilge pump switch was on. But the switch was off! I know about float switches, just didn’t know my boat had one. It was a good thing I wasn’t standing in front of the pump outlet when the switch kicked in! eek! eek! eek!

Brad

Cuda
08-10-2003, 07:48 PM
[/QUOTE]Cuda, I'm sorry to hear about that! If your boat ever sunk and you had "rapped a towel around a rock" and defeated the switch, your insurance company would be curious....
Hey, I've got an idea. Replace the switch! They need to be replaced often, but they are cheap.
[/QB][/QUOTE]
I had no insurance on the boat anyway. :) It wasn't a matter of cost, but to get to that pump under the two engines in the 242 was way more work than I was willing to put in for a switch I didn't want anyway. I always open the engine hatch before starting, so I'd see water building up before long.

RickR
08-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Mrs Chisholm told me John (Donzi Company owners from late 60s to 1985) always used 2 pumps in ALL his Donzis after he had one sink eek!

I like redundancy too :D

Genuine Risk has
2 1500 GPH bildge pumps
2 float switches wired to seperate batteries

2 VHF
2 Fire Extinguishers

MOP
08-10-2003, 09:02 PM
I agree everyone should have a float switch, I think rain, the plug, bellows and hoses letting go are the worst culprits. Many times you see pumps go on at the launch ramp from guys forgetting the plug, they were the lucky ones. "We all know to move our butt if the pump goes off! Never store out of the water with the plug in, many a high & dry operation have left plugs in filled the boat, most of the time the owners never know.

McGary911
08-10-2003, 09:33 PM
On the big boat, i have 3 pumps. 4 if you count the one that pumps out the shower drain. 2 of 3 have their own floats. I have never heard of anyone saying "damn, i had too many pumps!". but i have heard people saying they didnt have enough.
Seems every float i have found comes with some very thin, crappy aluminum wiring, which when you boat in salt rots off quickly. I check the pumps by tipping the float every time i leave the boat, and every other day that i dont use it. Tbe Donzi never stays in the water long enough to sink from a slow leak, but has a float anyway.

Another good hint is to carry a cork in the boat. if the plug hole leaks, or (now who would do this?), you forget to put it in, you can hammer the plug in from the inside, and make it back to the dock.

Ed Donnelly
08-10-2003, 11:47 PM
I have John Chisholms Criterion,and YES it has two bilge pumps. The first switch is on the dash, and the second one is hidden away behind the dash. The hidden one is locked in the auto position..Ed

Cuda
08-11-2003, 12:26 AM
A freind of mine was out on a 42 foot Fountain when they tore something off the outdrive and water was rushing in the boat faster than the pumps could keep up. He was sure the boat was going down, but the owner was a quick thinker. He removed the tops off the sea strainers and the engines pumped the water out fast enough for them to make it back in.