PDA

View Full Version : Paging Volvo Experts again...

Craig
08-09-2003, 04:25 PM
O.K. - I am pretty much convinced I have a 250. Found a serial number that begins "2-5-1..."

Also pretty positive (is that possible?) there is a difference between a 250 and a 270's drive yoke.

Have talked with several parts places and they have consistently given different part numbers (if they can find them) for the 250 and 270 drive yoke. Where the 250 and 270 are different, the 270 stuff seems to be more readily avaiable, SO...

Here's the $100.00 question (maybe more like the $300.00 question):

I have found several decent old 270 drives for little to nothing. They were all for 4 cylinder engines, but since the gear ratio change takes place in the lower part of the drive, couldn't I just take the upper gear set and drive yoke out of one of these 270's and use it with my 250?

This would eliminate the problem with the different drive yoke diameter I'm having.

More than one parts place has told me that Holman Moody did actually change some stuff in the Volvo drives they used. Still questioning that. Why would they?

I figured they just did the engine work and then hung a HM name tag on the outdrive for advertising! But, I guess it's possible.

Appreciate further input.

If I can make this change, the recess washer, the spline shaft bolt and the crush washer will be easier to find (I think).

Tony
08-09-2003, 09:16 PM
I think MOP, and maybe Penbroke, are old Volvo knowledgeable guys. I think Big Griz and Forest, too. Sorry I can't help you, Craig. I don't know squat about these questions...my 200 keeps chugging along even after 36 years!

penbroke
08-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Tony: Thanks for the compliment! :) I need to get with you sometime to find out what you finally did with your cooling system. I have the same setup as your original and think it can be improved upon.

Craig: I have not actually been there as my 200 like Tony's just keeps turning. :cool: My understanding is that what you are thinking would work. (I hope so as I just bought a 270 for parts insurance.) I would suggest you go to the parts finder at:
www.lakesiderestorations.com (http://www.lakesiderestorations.com)
and compare the part numbers between the 250 and 270 drives.

There are others here that know this stuff.

Good luck!
Frank
Living in a construction site. frown

MOP
08-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Craig try going to All Island Marines site give them a call try to speak with Pete, he is an old timer that stays very current but also has what I lack a good memory he can answer you question on swapping the uppers.

http://www.allislandmarine.com/

PS I ditto Penbrokes Thank You to Tony!

Gearhead99
08-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Maybe this will help.....I had a 250 HM drive go south on me several years ago. Bought a 270 used off the back of a Magnum.

To make the swap I just removed the two piviot pins, cable, bellows and the helmet bolt. Hung the 270 on and was done. Used the same "horse coller", steering yoke, etc. I did have to buy a new prop, cause the drive had the prop shaft modified to accept Merc. props.

Also, back many years ago....I check on what the difference was between the Volvo 250 and the HM 250. Check with HM back then. The drive foot was the same, except name plate. The part that is inside the boat that houses the intermediate shaft with the two bearings was HM. Looks like a transmission, but isn't.

Hope that helps.

Craig
08-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks to all. Penbroke, I have checked Lakesides Resto. site.

The same part for 250 and 270 are different (whereas many of them are the same), but the 250's part is not available.

Same results with several other sites (and calls to dealers). That is why I'm considering this change.

Need to call a guy back today who is going to measure teeth, diameters, etc. on the upper gear of a 270 (that was used for a 4 cyl.) to see if it matches measurements of my drive's upper gear. Several have said yes, they think that should be the same. The 8cyl. vs 4 cyl. difference being the gears in the lower part of the drive. That makes sense. If so, I have 2 or 3 lines on a few 270's that were coupled to 4cyl. engines.

Plan to swap the upper gear and the drive yoke if the same and then I'll have the more popular drive yoke too.

MOP, will try your guy "Pete" so I can then honestly say I've talked to everyone on the planet about this. Appreciate that additional option.

Tony, I thought you had a 250 drive? Oh well, that figures; I thought I had a 270!

So far, not one day on the water!!!!!!! :(

Hoping to change that soon.

Thanks again to all.