PDA

View Full Version : 22 Arneson Edition

CDMA
08-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Chris's Idea of an engine compartment:

This is a pic with the extension box installed. I replaced the entire transom. In the center it is three layers of 1/2 inch marine ply with biaxial glass on both sides. The outer areas are 2 layers of 1/2 inch marine ply again with Biaxial glass on either side. The stringers were completely cut out and redone in fiberglass. Then I created a box beam aluminum casing. The inner piece is 3/8" plate. The outer piece is 1/2". The outer piece comes up over the top of the stringer and encapsulates the entire stringer. I then installed the full length shelves. They are Plexused down around the outer edge and completely fiberglass tabbed in place from the top. Under the shelf is another lateral and transverse stringer. Where the shelf meets the aluminum stringer I drilled and tapped the stringer. Then I bedded under the joint with 5200. The entire bilge was sanded as close to perfect as I dared to get and painted with PPG DELTA.

The hull to deck joint is 5200 and screwed together. Then I fiberglass tabbed the hull to the deck from the inside. Then I installed the rubrail using 4200 and thru bolting it with nyloc nuts. I think it should stay together. Also note the Bad A$$ bouys my sister paints for me everytime I get a Donzi. Complete with Donzi emsignia.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA5.jpg

Here you can see the extension box installed as well as the 280 K planes. The Arneson has also been mounted but has been removed so the boat fits in the shed. Anyone else have a problem fitting a 22 foot boat in a 30 foot shed w/o a trailer eek! eek!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA6.jpg

Here you can see the "blue printed" bottom. I completly straighted the last 6 feet of the boat. Using long machinest rules, straight edges and so forth I removed about 1/8" of hook from the port side and 1/16" from the Starboard. I really feel very few of these boats are truely straight. Due to mold pre release and poor trailer set up many boats develop irregularites in the bottom. Since I am stepping the power down a little ( for now) I couldn't afford to lose any more speed then I had to.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA7.jpg

Soon to follow:

The polished 30 foot trailer trailer
Port helm
Center Console
Special Windshield
38ZR Handrails
Completly custom Dash

To those I haven't returned calls/emails and so forth I am sorry. I will return to non-insane life when school begins again. Wow I can't belive I said that.

Chris

Carpet hunting at 4 am...

mattyboy
08-08-2003, 10:33 PM
!@#$%IN A BUBBA!!!!!! :cool: see stripes ain't so bad Chris wink
very nice work! :)
Matty
gotta love red!!!!!!

MOP
08-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Chris that looks absolutely great, can't wait to see it run. The Kamma & Arnesons have always intrigued me, only played with one a little.

Tomahawk
08-09-2003, 06:15 AM
Man Chris - you have really been working this boat! Looks great too. I really appreciate the work you put into the engine compartment. A real touch of class. Good luck with the rest of it. One day you will have a real beauty of a 22 Classic.

MR MAGOO
08-09-2003, 06:40 AM
WOW!!!

My old boat is looking incredible! Nice work!

keep the pics coming

BUIZILLA
08-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Chris...

I don't get impressed like this very often. But, you have absolutely blown me away with this project.

There are 3 things that a person needs, to excell in life. Desire, dedication, and diligence. You have exceeded those parameters already.

Congrat's. Your future shines as bright as the North Star.

If I had known 60 days ago your plans, I wouldn't have sold the spare bad a$$ 509 in our dragster. I would have converted it, and lent it to ya, i'm THAT impressed.

J

center console? polished trailer? port steering?

TuxedoPk
08-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Chris,

Absolutely impressive.. what a great job!

Q. Where are you mounting the rudder? :)

oldLenny
08-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris, very, (VERY) nice...impressive.

Waaayyyy too much work, I know, but when you stand back in the shop and gaze upon it, it is all worth it... :D

(with all these people using "5200" , why don't some of you try Plexus adhesive. It is bionic as well? )

http://www.itwplexus.com/home.html

Not meant as a "dig" by any means, just something "else" that does NOT let go...

harbormaster
08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Very Beautiful Chris.

I cannot wait to see it run.

Scot

BERTRAM BOY
08-09-2003, 11:27 PM
I've got a 140 JohnRude at my shop we can poprivet and jb weld to that extention box......It's in Primo condition too......
Anonymous

olredalert
08-10-2003, 08:22 AM
-------Chris,you have made a bunch of progress since 1000 Islands.Project looks absolutely great!!!!!!!!All that glass work,how much itching are you doing?.............Bill S

olredalert
08-10-2003, 08:22 AM
-------Chris,you have made a bunch of progress since 1000 Islands.Project looks absolutely great!!!!!!!!All that glass work,how much itching are you doing?.............Bill S

harbormaster
08-10-2003, 01:17 PM
I would like to see more photos!

boxy
08-10-2003, 01:23 PM
It's so shiny.... :D
W eek! W doesn't begin to describe it.
Beautiful work Chris.

CDMA
08-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys.

It has been a labor of love so far. The magnitude and scope of the project has continued to change and at this point I am enjoying working w/o a finish date or pressure. As long as it takes to get the boat my way is as long as it takes to finish it. I have done some pretty anal things that none of you will ever see but it is as much the project of the creation to me then anything else.

I made a conscience decision a while ago that this will be a "board project". While secret skunk works projects have their appeal in my opinion the trend that way has erroded the content and interest of the board. I persoanlly know very many of you, all I consider my close friends, doing things in secret to your boat. In my opinion while the suprise sleeper is great at times a return to where more pics were posted and projects shared is the most interesting part of the board.

That being said I will continue to share as many pictures as I can. At this point the only reason I haven't shared more is it takes away from boat building time. When I get back to school I will post some more. And trust me they will only get more interesting...(see above list wink )

Chris

Ok so the carpet trip became a day of boating...must work double time today wink

Sagbay32
08-10-2003, 03:43 PM
CDMA,
Thank you for keeping us updated on your 22. I am sure everyone enjoys being in on this and other projects. I hope more people doing restorations and modifications follow suit.

Mike

Air 22
08-10-2003, 09:24 PM
SHWEEEEEET Chris.. wink I'll sign up now for a ride!! :D

CDMA
08-10-2003, 09:45 PM
This picture takes a little forsight but you will see more progress as it occurs. This is the plug which I will pull a mold off of to create my center console. The console will allow me to use a top mount Gaffrig in conjuntion with Port steering. I wanted to have port steering because it was different, I am used to it, and primarily because it was a good excuse for me to make this console. What is yet to be finished in this picture is the front part of the console. The unfinished looking area in the front will actually have two doors angled out to meet the footwell. They will hinge back to allow acess to the storage area. The angled part in the back of the console matches the dash and will have a Gaffrig speedo installed for the rear seat passengers.

The dash is covered in this picture with a preliminary mock up of the forthcoming dash. The dash will either be powder coated stainless or Anodized aluminum with Gaffrig Platinum gauges.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CDMA4.jpg

Chris

Seat bases are not my friend

Donzi Blackhawk
08-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Sure Chris,

Build your plug in some top secret location? Afraid of someone stashing it up on some high out of the way place? :D Make sure that you have some draft in the part, that way it will pull.

So far everything looks cool. Let's see a mock up for the windshield. Any word on the power plant going into it? I have a lead on another engine for the Blackhawk. When we meet up for the Hometown rally, I'll arm wrestle you for that procharger you have! eek!

Bryant (Soon to be supercharged?)

CDMA
08-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Draft??? Whats that wink Show this to Mark and the Crew if you have a second...

Procharger...lets make a deal. She needs to go :) ...but no 'Sota for me it looks like :(

Chris

BERTRAM BOY
08-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Arm Wrestling for a Pro Charger? Ooo I'm in....

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

McGary911
08-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Thats a pretty cool idea for the console. On a 22, will that make it tight? Youd have to do some climbing to get to either of the front seats, no?..Bad as hell tho. You gonna center mount the throttle\shifter? that would be mighty. Can use gaffrigs, or kiekefaer (sp?) throttles. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

CDMA
08-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Poodle,

I have built a two piece hatch for the floor. the front piece will be secured to the console and access to the fuel lines/senders is from the inside of the console. Not exactly easy to get to but doable. If serious work was needed it is always possible to remove the console.

McGary,

The console does take up some room in the cockpit but it still is manageable.

Chris

Tom Davis
08-11-2003, 07:36 AM
Chris you have exceeded my expectations for your design work and execution!!! Great work buddy!

Skunk works, what skunk works???

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits :cool:

RickR
08-11-2003, 11:45 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I hope you're getting some seat time in the yeller boat :D

Eugene Nahemow
08-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Really beautiful Chris!!!
It's great to see your project developing.
I don't know now you have the time to keep showing up at Donzi events! :D

TuxedoPk
08-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Perhaps a CDMA cam might be a nice feature for the board wink

CDMA
08-11-2003, 06:57 PM
I don't stay still long enough...

Chris

Rootsy
08-11-2003, 07:22 PM
MY HERO :D

GEOO
08-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Nice work Chris.... She is going to be one special boat!!! Want too trade??? :D

Fish boy
08-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Looks great so far. I cant wait to see more pics as she comes along.

DS88
08-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Hi Chris,

The boat looks unreal! I wanted to ask about the PPG Delta product you used in the bilge. I'm recoating my bilge with tinted epoxy resin and although the epoxy is tough as nails, I'm not that happy with the way it looks. What PPG Delta product did you use, there are a bunch listed on the web site? Did you have to prime the bilge with anything prior or does the stuff stick to the resin? Is it resistant to gas and oil?

Thanks,

Dave

BigGrizzly
08-18-2003, 07:08 PM
That Consul is a great idea. Don't worry about the room that seat is for driving not dancing, you don't need no stinking ball room in a boat

Donzi Blackhawk
08-18-2003, 08:17 PM
I see what he is up to! Put in the skinny seats and laugh as the big guys are left standing at the dock. "Sorry Bryant, your just too big to ride in my boat!" :D

Great! I bet the only life jackets on board won't fit me either! eek!

Bryant (Dead weight in boats)

sparepartz
08-19-2003, 12:04 AM
that boat looks perfect!!! how exactaly do you blueprint the bottom, what do you use to fill and how do you sand it straight. Ive always wanted to know and by the looks of it, YOU KNOW!! cant wait to see it done...

SilverBack
01-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Hey...some of you old timers....is this project still in the works too?? This thing looks awesome!! Did he ever get it done?

CDMA
01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
It is there still...not done.

mphatc
01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Chris,

Good to see you are still around . . . how is your world now? Married with kids??? :wink:

Is that 22 hiding somewhere on Long Island? along with your 18 . . .

Did you ever finish the Missle? Last I recall you brought that to FL ? ? ? ?

Mario L.

69 Corsican
68 Magnum 27

Ed Donnelly
01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Chris; Long time no hear.. Still holding on to the PC in case you complete
one and need a PC ....Ed

BigGrizzly
01-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Knowing Chris, he will do it right or won't do it! Keith why are you searching for this old stuff. Nothing on it has moved in years. Let me explain to you on Geoo's rig there was no transmission, no neutral no reverse. In other words to get in neutral "turn off engine", Reverse, turn of engine and paddle. to go forward start engine. I don't drive a boat that way. !20mph, 8 years of work no transmission, DIRECT DRIVE. Chris will have a trany.

Lenny
01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
His Missile is fine .... ;)

Drop me a line sometime Chris when you are in this neck of the woods again. Dinners on me and Deneen.