PDA

View Full Version : Outboard oil

tailwind
08-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Hey folks:

Just putting the final touches on our 77 Angler center console, and ready to break in our 96
Johnson Ocean Pro 115. Question is? should I pay the extra $$ for the Johnson 2 stroke oil, ? or go with the Napa, or perhaps Advance auto parts TCW-3 2 stroke oil?

We will be purchasing by the gallon.

best regards,
Randy

MOP
08-08-2003, 10:28 PM
I would at the very least break it in on any of the major outboards makers oil. Then see it I could get some good input on the other brand. I have seen a lot lunched on cheap 2 stroke and car oil. I would start with fresh gas, good oil and a decent filter.

Team Jefe
08-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Tail - I will take to other side of the debate. I've been around two-stroke outboards since I can remember, and we have always used "Cheap" oil.

When I got Jefe's REVENGE, I thought I needed to use the expensive Johnson oil, but I can't tell any differnce in that or the cheap stuff.

I have a freind who basiclly got me into the offshore fishing game. He's been running offshore boats for 30 years and only uses the cheap Wal-Mart brand of oil.

Now, that is all I use as well. I'm sure there is a vast wealth of more info on this, but in my mind TCW3 is TCW3 regardless of the name.

JEFE

Cuda
08-09-2003, 09:56 AM
I'm with Jefe. I buy whatever is on sale. Usually, you can find some at Boater's World or West Marine with a good rebate. I buy it a case at a time.

Cuda
08-09-2003, 09:57 AM
But I LOVE the smell of Quicksilver two stroke. :)

Jamesbon
08-09-2003, 10:26 AM
:D Good one MadPoodle!

I'm with Jefe and Cuda...

MOP
08-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Here! Here! to the pro good oil comments, having been an OMC tech for over 30+ years it is well worth the cost. Like Poodle says buy it bulk and feel reassured you are doing the right thing. I have seen the Innards many times you can not BS me.