PDA

View Full Version : Handling problems 22 Classic

cummins
08-08-2003, 09:43 AM
I seem to be having increasing handling problems in chop were the boat wants to dig in on either side. If coming off a chopper it can get very hairy when the boat leans inward unexpectedly. My intial thought was my tirm tabs were getting hung...I have had tabs checked and they are working fine. Trim is also working. My boat also seems to bounce in some water at speed. Is this typically behaviuour of a deep hull? It is starting to drive me crazy.

Thanx

James Adcock
08-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Cummins Baby, I have experienced the same thing with my 18. I believe that the trim tabs are mounted to close to the centerline. By the tabs being so close to the centerline I believe that it only takes a small amount of adjustment to make the boat roll over its center making it hard to stabilize. Once I get the 69' going I'll be able to check for a difference in ride. I do think it will ride and handle differently but, time will tell. The 69 is an 18-2+3 also. It has a 351 with a 250 Volvo/ Holman Moody outdrive. The 83 has a 350 Merc w/ Alpha 1. I noticed that the exhaust port locations will have something to do with the rams mounting position/location. The ports can be high or low, closer in or further away from the ceter.The ports on the 83' are lower than the 69'. I also realized that it makes a difference what type of exhaust manifolds you have.
JMHO :rolleyes: , Jamie

boldts
08-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Cummins, just out of curiosity, what prop are you running on your 22?

DonCig
08-08-2003, 05:29 PM
To: The Other Scott, I would love to see some pictures of B4 and after.

Don

CDMA
08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
What prop are you running?

A mirage tends to torque that boat a lot. You might want to think about a Hydro or a Turbo.

Chris

Torqued...

MOP
08-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Curious have you measured to see how much the trailing edges of the tabs are above the bottom fully retracted. I like atleast 1/2 inch some go higher, you do want them clear at speeds.

cummins
08-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Guys,

I'm running the standard Mirage Prop that comes with the boat. The tabs were factory installed. No sign of spray from trim tabs dragging (:=

Thanx