PDA

View Full Version : National Marine Underwriters Out of Boat Business

FASTEDDIE
08-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Received a letter today from NMU stating that my boat insurance policy through them and written by The Hanover Insurance Company would not be offered for renewal because a decision was made at the corporate level to redirect their resources and withdraw from the recreational marine market. I was paying $325.00 a year.22 Classic,Blackhawk Limited Edition, 502-415 HP with trailer. They enclosed a new invoice from the company willing to take over the policy. The new company is American Modern Insurance group is willing to cover the same coverage for $971.00 a year thus only going up 300%. Has anyone else got this letter? I never have had a claim with this company.EVER. Are they insane or is it me ?

Dr. Dan
08-07-2003, 09:28 PM
:cool: E............we got the exact same letter! We are shopping around as well, Liz is in contact with Stephanie at Jackson Marine....she can help you shop....she writes alot of us on the East Coast....being on a Lake....your rates will be much more reasonable than our coverage on the Bay! www.jacksonmarinesales.com (http://www.jacksonmarinesales.com) There are also several companies that advertise in Powerboat Mag...I'll let ya know what we come up with...but it is roughly double so far...still looking! :p

Doctor of Greek Suv La Kya
Prepping For the Picnic....our Favorite Event!

SS18
08-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Fast Eddie,
My ins. with Total dollar lay up time for me but that is probably the same for your season.Sy advertises on oso or pm me for # hey thanks again for LGRV help time came and went very fast .we came up with new rv but returned quickly ailing parents but all is well .I hope to come back soon and at least buy you a beer and lunch thanks again
sorry we missed you.

SS18
08-07-2003, 09:51 PM
By the way,
My boys 16 and 17 got a kick out of the pictures in the algonguin actually charactures. 4hours45min
well worth the tow!

Cuda
08-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Total Dollar only insures boats over $50K. I have Progressive, and I love thier customer service. Very easy to make changes.

Ranman
08-08-2003, 08:13 AM
I got the same letter from NMU. My policy went from $323/yr to $357/yr. I don't have a Blackhawk though...

Barry Phillips
08-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Hi Ed: When I replaced the 18 with the 22 on my AllState marine policy the bill almost doubled, from $349 to just under $700 a year. I guess thats better than you deal, but the funny thing is when I replaced a 10 year old 15' Boston Whaler with the 18, a huge jump in performance and value my policy only went up a 100 bucks. I guess it's a sign of the times, we in NJ are being insured to death between auto and homeowners, I guess they have to cover there loses in the stock market, and fund that bogas Insurance Insitute for Highway Safety and don't forget about Washington. For a industry that is under such financial pressure they seem to have a lot of money to throw arround.

Remember "Your in not so good hands"

SO-SLO

TuxedoPk
08-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Interesting.. Just when everyone is getting these letters NMU wrote my policy on 7/24. Just pulled the paperwork and see it is with American Family Home Insurance.

They valued the X-18 w/o a survey at $3500, and with a $250 deductible for catastrophic, thefe,engine/outdrive, the rate was $537, with an additional $30 for $1500 trailer coverage, and $75 for $100k of liability.

Kirk
08-08-2003, 12:21 PM
In process of putting my 74' Sporter on the water after a re-power I checked with NMU back in March and the rate was $264.00. I checked today because of post and find the rate jumped to $442.00 for the same coverage.

I wish my pay scale saw this increase!!

KJ