PDA

View Full Version : Trailering Advice ?

DonCig
08-07-2003, 05:39 PM
I pulled my new boat home yesterday (420 miles) with the mooring cover on it, and when I got home I found a bunch of black rubb marks on the deck and hull from the mooring cover rubbing the hull. They cleaned up with a little polish, but it made me wonder if towing with the mooring cover on is the best way to go.

Any advice?

Don

Chris-007
08-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Conventional wisdom is to trailer without the cover on, especially a full cover.

I regularly tow with my cockpit cover, but 400+ miles is a long hike...

Regards,

olemissalum
08-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Unless it is raining, I tow without my cockpit cover(never with the full cover)

Barry Phillips
08-07-2003, 08:04 PM
I towed my 22 340 miles with no cover from Erie PA, unless the weather is bad this is the best way, any cover material can damage the finish with enough buffiting. Towing locally I will use the cocpit cover, only if it's raining and under 50mph.

SO-SLO

mattyboy
08-07-2003, 09:37 PM
yes cockpit cover only,tape the front down for hah hahs

Matty

Dr. Dan
08-07-2003, 09:40 PM
:D Mile Boy.........we get around a bit, attend a couple 2 or 3 Events, some how each year it adds up to well over 15,000 miles per Summer Boating Season by the time we finish up with Sarasota at the year end. I do Tow without occassionally....but I ususally Tow with my full cover on...it is a Sunbrella Cover from www.coverquest.com (http://www.coverquest.com) I take some precautions though.
1.) I use bed sheets, and Velux Blankets as Chaffing Guards.
2.) I am very cautious with the Rub Rail Indexed Screws, these puppies will eat a whole through your cover Psuedo Pronto...!
I find the Cover keeps stone chips and Tar and Road Grim off my shiny deck...and really has reduced my overall cleaning & detailing time. I have done this for 2 Seasons....and no complaints so far...it's a little bit Anal...I know but what the F*#%. The alternative is what it is....on long hauls....500 plus miles, our Classic is in its own cocoon....and it arrives clean as a whistle...for the most part... :p ....Doc

MOP
08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
I like Dan always do my long distance with the full cover. I tested out my new one by Covers Direct doing about 1200 mile round to the 1000 Islands meet, did fine at 80mph. My original cover finally got to embarassing to put on but fine for sky droppings when Moored in the driveway.

Jake
08-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Doc, by a full cover you mean one that attaches to the trailer, correct. That is what we use when we tow a distance, I just hate it being outin the open on the highway. Our cover has poles so that the water does not sit in the cover, do you tow with poles or let it wave in the breeze. I was told when towing it is best to have the cover as tight as possible.

Reason I ask is because I am having a cover made for it at the end of the month and want to make sure I get the right thing made. thanks.

Jake

tailwind
08-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Donzi Boat Covers are really worth there weight in gold!

1. They do protect your boat, interior, carpet, etc. from fading due to the UV exposure.
2. A good cover will last 3-5 years perhaps more when under cover.
3. One of the better materials is "Sunbrella" . These covers, under roof will last over 20 years.
4. Unfortunately, Sunbrella cost more than bargain basement covers.
5. A 9.5 oz custom Donzi "18" towable / mooring cover will set you back about $ 125.00
to $ 175.00, current US.
6. Although alot of bucks herewith, certainly desireable!

Best regards,
Randy

Tomahawk
08-09-2003, 06:26 AM
Don - when towing, I start off with the cockpit cover on. At the first exit, I turn around, go back and pick it up, put it in the Sub and finish the trip. Check with Scott Boldt. He found some trick snaps that don't come undone and is very happy with them.

boldts
08-09-2003, 10:37 AM
Don,

Here is a pic of the cockpit cover on my 22. I replaced all snaps in the cover with what is called a lock snap. It will require that the snap bases screwed into the boat itself also be replaced with a base that only works with the lock snaps in the cover. Basically, the snaps only snap on in one position and come off only in one position. Also notice the little black loops that were installed also. These loops make releasing the snaps a cinch when you want to get the cover off. Cost was about $20 including instalation of snaps and the loops. I replaced the bases myself in about 45 minutes using fiberglass fixer to seal and keep the screws from stipping the original snap base hole.

I also have a full cover which I use on very long trips. It has loops in the side which I run bungie cords through and then attach to the trailer with the hooks attached at the trailer. This keeps the cover tight at all times and since the hooks are at the trailer, no damage comes to the hull.

Another thing I've been told as far as covers filling with air and blowing around is to place a tennis ball into the engine area vent openings. It is the air entering these vents that is blowing the cover around. I've not done this, so I can't comment on how or if it works. I installed the lock snaps first and they work great. Now, if you have the vents with the screen mesh at the entrance, this option of course is not available to you. I've not had any problems with the bungie cords keeping my full cover down and the cover tight.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/sboldtcov0001.jpg