PDA

View Full Version : Can new gauges use old senders?

Stix Magill
08-06-2003, 01:52 PM
I am going to replace my old gauges but would rather not replace the wiring and senders, etc. Is this a bad idea? Will Gaffrig gauges work with older VDO senders?

Ranman
08-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Stix, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I believe they will work. You may want to verify the connections on the back of the old VDO's vs. the Gaffrigs to determine if you will have to cut and replace all of the wire ends. For example, my VDO's have push on "spade" type connectors. Hopefully Gaffrigs are the same but they might be "ring" type connectors.

Some things you might want to research, but should work out OK are things like your fuel sender. If it is the standard 80 - 280 ohm deal, you'll be good. Make sure the ranges on pressure gauges are the same on both sets too. In some cases (oil example) you can replace the sender on the motor, and the gauge in the dash while leaving the wiring in tact. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

Dredgeking
08-06-2003, 02:29 PM
take the extra 15 min and replace the senders. oil pressure may not read properly. what's the point of having new gauges if they aren't accurate? bling bling only goes so far until you're getting towed in because the gauges were off.

Dredgeking
08-06-2003, 02:31 PM
gaffrig pressure senders are calibrated to the gauge. i have had the wrong gaffrig sender hooked up to a gaffrig gauge. it's a scary sight. do it right. feel confident with the readings.

mattyboy
08-06-2003, 02:40 PM
I just replaced all my old tleflex gauges with new teleflex gauges, some senders worked some didn't.
lesson learned get senders for your gauges. All MFG's can recomend the right senders when you buy gauges.
I also found the spade type connectors on the new gauges so some re wiring was needed but not much

usual set up for a gauge wiring is 4 wires:

ground
sender
ignition
light
hope that helps

Matty

Ranman
08-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Good points. I guess what I was trying to say is that with most of the gauges you will be fine.

Speedo: If you go GPS, no sender problems. If you go pressure/pitot, the existing capillary tube should work fine.

Tach: No senders here. A tach is a tach is a tach. Just set it up for a V8 application.

Trim: If it's a Merc boat, get the Gaffrig Merc trim gauge and you're all set. No sender replacement.

Fuel: Again, if the VDO uses the industry standard, it should be a direct bolt up with the new gauge. I recently had fuel gauge issues and I found Livorsi to offer an electronic fuel sending unit. It offers no moving parts and is a great upgrade for $70. The only tricky part here is the new sender required a 12+ wire run to the sender.

Volts: Volts is volts, no sender here, just the wire-up. If your boat is equipped with an ammeter, convert to a voltmeter, it's safer in my opinion.

Water Temp: On this one you want a new sender to replace the original. You should be able to keep the original wiring in place and just replace the hardware at both ends.

Oil Pressure: Again, get the new sender as recommended above. Like the water temp, you should still be able to at least use the existing wiring.

That should cover your standard seven gauges. Hope I make more sense now. wink

Rootsy
08-06-2003, 05:48 PM
i REALLY enjoy how my fuel gauge remains on FULL until i have burned off 15 gallons of fuel.. then she drops like a rock... correct sender for the gauge too... good thing is.. i guess... when she's on E she's on E... and she run no more... :rolleyes:

i just keep an eye on the gps milage wink bout 150 miles per tank @ 3500... damn good fuel milage if ya ask me! but well.. we like to lean on it a bit... :D

Root - Properly jetted...

Stix Magill
08-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks fellas.

Dredge, it's not about "bling bling", but about gauges that work. Mine are original 1987 and are failing.

Poodle, Ranman, Matty and Rootsy, thanks for the input. It sounds like there wouldn't be much more to it as long as I use the existing wires like you mention. I will replace the sensors.

Poodle, I will email you about gauges when I am ready to buy.

Thanks all,
Stix

CDMA
08-06-2003, 10:28 PM
You know baxter I just put a new sender in my tank and now you have me all nervous.

Chris

I know a good lawyer if she blows up

Donzigo
08-07-2003, 07:38 AM
I replaced my VDO guages with Gaffrig and had no problems. I noticed that the oil temp & water temps were slightly off, so I replaced them with new senders and everythings is fine. I exchanged oil pressure senders, too. Gaffrig has a vertical gas sender that I have yet to install. It is much more accurate than the old style swinging arm sender. Bottom line is that your new gauges will work; but, why not change the senders. They are cheap.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/RAaron101Gaffrig.jpg

Moody Blu'
08-07-2003, 09:05 PM
I replaced all my gauges with gaffrig gauges. the gas tank sender works fine from the original teleflex gauges, I did replace the water temp and oil pressure senders though.

my fuel gauge works perfect with the old teleflex sender wink