PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Corrosion

James Adcock
08-06-2003, 08:24 AM
M.O.P.?, My 83',18-2+3 has an Alpha 1. The exterior finish has small patches of corrosion in several different areas. Should I address the exterior finish with the same approach plus adding the paint in the end?
Thanks,Jamie

MOP
08-06-2003, 08:37 AM
The problem with any aluminum is the corroded areas need to be cleaned to shiney bright any speck of off color left will corrode again and pretty quickly! On the deep spots I chromate then I epoxy putty and sand smooth then go through the chromate/paint drill. Its is well worth the effort.

James Adcock
08-06-2003, 09:01 AM
I have been told that the paint edges need to be "tapered" for the best results. Combined with the "clean" aluminum surface, I would hope that satisfactory results will happen. Do you think this is the right technique(feathering the paint edges) before the primer and paint?
Jamie

MOP
08-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Jim its very important, you more than likely havs bits of corrosion under the edges. I like to sand back just a bit more to be sure I have all bright metal.

Murphy
08-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Funny you should mention this. I noticed upon returning from 1000 Islands that my prop had small, almost microscopic pitting. I began to wonder if there was a low voltage current from the resort shore power or something working on it. I've got sacrificial anodes (that's anodes, not gonads) Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Murph

Surfer
08-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Got the same problem. Wouldn't it be easier / (more microscopic) to sand blast? What am I missing?

MOP
08-07-2003, 08:01 AM
Sand blasting works great just use non aggressive fine it cuts slow giving you better control. Corse sand will pit the surface and make for more finish work. Beach or dug up sand has impurities and may cause corrosion, it pays to buy commercial sand.