PDA

View Full Version : A question about V-drives for Brownie

oldLenny
11-14-2001, 05:38 PM
A question for Brownie...
In all the Boats you saw/built/worked on/ drove, and from what I percieve as a "fondness" for V-drives on your part,how would YOU rate the 16-18 Donzi in a V-drive
configuration as compared to an I/O?

Obviously there are some trade offs and some
accessability issues here, but what do you have to say for the handling and performance
profiles of these two comparisons?

Did the ol' Donzi 16's/18 V-drives with either their "HullCraft" or "Casale" drives(rare or non-existant I have heard as a drive), did they have the trans on the motor
or the trans in the V-drive? F,N,R at the motor/block or at the V-drive.

Are there some serious top speed deterents or "quirks" in relation to the V-drive configuration in the little Donzi as opposed to an I/O? What can be expected as a safe, affordable top speed in the V-drive configuration in the 16-18? Was the Donzi done at 12 degrees or less/more? Was the 10-12 degrees made up in both shaft planes or just at the drive aft?

Do your Stainless Marine manifolds come in a version that could be reverse mounted with the engine in a V-drive configuration?

Thanks for ANY info!

MR MAGOO
11-14-2001, 07:22 PM
I have a 1966 18 2+3 Casale v drive and it has a Borg Warner velvet drive trans mounted to the motor. It is for sale less motor. The orig motor is a 427 side oiler Ford. The motor is available seperatly.
Kurt. klflash@pivot.net

oldLenny
11-14-2001, 08:25 PM
MR MAGOO!

Is the "Velvet Drive" a 1:1 ratio or other? If the Borg is a 1:1, do you make it up in the reduction/overdrive in the Casale? What is the final tally of the drive/overdrive? I was under the impression that the number of V-drive "CASALE'S" could be counted on one hand with all others being "Hull-Craft". I am sending you an E-mail.

Thanx, Lenny

Looped
11-14-2001, 09:52 PM
Hey Len,
If you are considering a V-drive setup for your bench seat X-18 have you thought of doing the new W-drive setup with 2 props? Seems to be the cats meow for the drag boats.

ALLAN BROWN
11-15-2001, 07:32 AM
That's a lot of questions at once! Casale is alive and well in California. I have never personally used a v-drive/tranny combo (all were "crash boxes"). Except for big HM's and turbo Daytonas, we used the Crusader 4000 ( inch-pounds) 12 degree vee drive. This allows the engine to be horizontal is you have a 12 degree strut. In a small boat, the is a finite relationship between the prop diameter, prop clearance from the hull, and the vee drive to hull (inside) which kind of solves itself. All the stock Donzis were 12 degrees. Unfortunately, an inclined shaft can never match today's stern and surface drives for efficiency. Our risers fasten with a vee-band (turbo) clamp, and will point any direction. Did I miss anything?

Brownie

ALLAN BROWN
11-15-2001, 07:34 AM
I went back and reread your original question. The 16' with a vee drive would outrun the sterndrive in choppy water, and never got wild. The 18' wasn't as good, but it was good. I would be glad to own either.

AB

oldLenny
11-15-2001, 10:54 AM
Yep, ALLAN you did.

Looped, I am considering it. I have never heard of a "W" drive. Will look into that scenario today on the net. An Arneson and extension box/trans would be the BEST way to go but out of any budget that I have.

ALLAN, I was just curious as to your thoughts about the V-drive configuration as I am now sitting in the REAR seat of an X-18 driving, bench seat lay-out, the forward deck has been moved back about 24", and I am curious as to the benefits (handling and ride) of NOT hanging 250lbs off the transom to offset the 350-ish pounds of the driver and passenger now sitting in the back seat.

Thank you for your comments! Send me any others you might have anytime :)

CDMA
11-15-2001, 11:16 AM
Len ask Geoo the correct running angle for a surface drive on an 18 then build a long fixed surface drive with a rudder hung aft of the prop. I have often thought of this as a bullet proof set up for a boat with big HP and no $$. Sacrifices some but could be cool. I might try this for the next donzi with that 1300 hp gas turbine I want.... :eek: :eek: :eek: in my dreams

Chris

Looped
11-21-2001, 09:40 PM
Len,
The W-drive is a new setup in the IHBA group. It could be a bit early for you but on Sundays at 11:00am eastern time on Speedvision they show this class. They also run the twin bladed props that F-Jr (Owen) likes too.

oldLenny
11-21-2001, 10:31 PM
Looped! I can't find any info on this set-up anywhere using "Dogpile" and many other search engines. Have you got any links?.

Looped
11-22-2001, 08:52 PM
I think it's new this year to the top dogs in the IHBA Class. I know most of them redesigned new Hydros to have the 23" shaft to shaft distance but some of them have used a 13" shaft to shaft distance so that they can run them in the original drag boats. I have only seen this about five times this year on Speedvision on Sundays. Check it out this Sunday morning!