PDA

View Full Version : 26ZX performance thus far

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-13-2001, 03:56 PM
3 Days on the water and the break in period is over and scheduled!

I did one quick GPS run just for fun.
4700 RPM, Bravo I stock prop,
full bag of gas etc
64.9 MPH

Not to shabby, I am very happy! She rides the rough nicely!
Bryan

Sam
11-14-2001, 02:12 PM
That's Great ! can't wait to that bad boy in the spring.

Sam

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-14-2001, 05:35 PM
Thanks Sam, I said from the onset of this deal, as long as she would do mid to low 60's I would be happy! 4700 is a good RPM for me, I don't fill like I am being overly hard on her, she is still in the baying phase!

Hey GRIZ, one thing about a bigger boat, and that is there is more to clean, plus I had to buy two step ladders!!! LOL
Bryan

Sam
11-14-2001, 06:15 PM
Bryan, thanks for the phone call it was nice to put a voice with a name but I guess a face will have to wait until AOTH. Let me know how your water system goes.

Sam

Shanghied Again
11-14-2001, 08:23 PM
Bryan, I talked to the guys who do all my modifications. They had a 26 ZX 99 502. Removed the 4 blade Bravo, Put on a 3 Blade Mirage plus and got 71mph out of the boat. at 5100 rpms. When I get the boat we are going to try the same blade on mine if we get better then 68 I will let you know how she did and tell you what prop to get. He has about 14 props I can try for Max speed. I sign the papers saturday. The Deal is done ! I will own a 26ZX name Shanghied Again! as my wife put it. I will take pics Saturday. Got to come to Virginia with her 3 26ZXs that would look Awesome. :D

BigGrizzly
11-14-2001, 09:34 PM
Bryan is that one ladder for each foot. Lets see 1 Bryan two ladders and 6 months to AOTHII. Thats a lot of cleaning but it will look better than new, that I'm sure of. Good luck

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-14-2001, 09:54 PM
Hi Griz, that was pretty funny, actually a step ladder for each side so when I am working I don't have to drag the ladders around!

Griz, the above results were trimmed out on a fairly short run, on a longer haul I can get to 4800 RPM, I did the perf analyzer site and read 9 for slip, so I am going to have the prop blueprinted and hopefully pick up the last few hundred RPM. Do you agree with that???
For now 65 is plenty fast. The transition to a much larger boat keeps me fairly busy, the 26ZX redifined slowing down.

Frank, I have read 3 reports that concurr with your data, personally I have not tried the Mirage on the 26, on the 22 it was unstable, the 4 blades seem to be the best overall performer in the rough. I just read an OSO post about the Merc Offshore 23P four blade which was the best of both worlds for a 26ZX.
The Merc racing prop would likely do the job too, but in our enviroment of shallows at times etc, they tend to ding very easily, ie not cost effective for the gain.

Were waiting on pictures Frank!
Bryan

boldts
11-14-2001, 10:15 PM
Bryan,
I know your planning on AOTH II, but how about those other 2 26 ZX's. (Bob and Frank) You guys are keeping me busy updating your profiles on the Midwest Donzi Club's members list.

Frank - It sounds like CONGRATS are in order. Best wishes with your new Donzi. Are you heading SOUTH to enjoy her before Spring?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-15-2001, 04:14 AM
Scott, no doubt Frank will be there, I will work on Bob!
Bryan

Shanghied Again
11-15-2001, 04:52 AM
Bryan, I know on the 22 a 3 blade was a bad prop Real good top end but bad out of the hull and the boat rocked from side to side, A lot of that was due to the deep step that the 22 has. The 26 steps are not as steep. I am going to experiment like I always due ( Hey when you have a supply of props you can try for nothing) My saying is go for it. These guys want to slap a procharger on her before I get it home? I told them not yet I want to make sure the boat is ok first!
Scott.. I thank You and if everything goes as plan we will be seeing you in May. :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-15-2001, 08:18 AM
Hi POODLE, not sure, I am no expert, I do know when a 3 blad was on the 22ZX she blew out allot, chine walked etc.... The blow outs really sucked while turning slow speeds too...

Lots of controversy over the weight of the 26ZX, book says 5000lbs, no way! Add 750 lbs of gas and I would guess closer to 6500 lbs total. One guy on OSO said he took his to a scale full of gas and was 6600 lbs!!!
My buddy said the 5000 lbs advertised is minus a power plant?

Can any of you Donzi guys give me the true low down on weight?

Now on a much heavier boat the MPlus may work well, from what I have read the 3 blade Mirage is a great performance prop. I will have to do some testing I guess. It was used in all the online testing articles.

On the Merc prop site for offshore use the Bravo I fit in my usage colum, who knows, I sure am not going to spend a bunch of money on a new prop entirely just for 200 RPMs.

The blue print thins them a little and make them perfect all over, cost is $125 at both our prop shops.

Gott a run, the McQuires is hazing on the deck as we speak! LOL
Bryan

vagrant
11-15-2001, 09:41 PM
Hey Bryan
I cant wait to see your new 26 good luck with her
David

Philip47
11-15-2001, 10:22 PM
Will trade a mint Mirage Plus 25P for a 23P Bravo

BigGrizzly
11-15-2001, 10:36 PM
Bryan, you neglected to tell us what size prop you have now. The best merc prop on my sona 22ZX was a revolution 4- 23 pitch. I t did everthing well. On all the boats we have tested the Bravo was always one of the slowest. In my 22 it was not fun at the least. Any way try what you can before you lab finish or bluprint anything. Remember Marage Plus ans Rev4 comes in odd numbers and Bravo comes in even number of pitch.
BTW there are many props besides Merc that work as well or better. If you have the choice try them. My opinion is -If it has to be Lab finished or blue printed then it wasn't right to begin with. Sone guys do the mod to change the pitch 1/2 inch for that extra MPH. I loose or gain that everday due to wind, water conditions or currents. Let us know what prop your running.
I though the two latters was so your wife could bring you all your meals and friends could bring you a beer while you were cleaning your new boat.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-16-2001, 04:29 AM
Stock Bravo I 24P

Hi VAGRANT, thanks.... see ya in May.

I really shouldn't prejudge the MPlus just because it sucked on the 22ZX. Prop is a low low priority at the moment... :)

Bryan

DONZIMAN2
11-16-2001, 08:11 AM
Hey folks, This summer I did significant testing on my 26ZX with props. I could not get above 4650 RPM's (496HO) with the 24 pitch stock Bravo I. I tried my stock 22 Pitch 4 blade Bravo I and I ran out of motor. I went to my 23 Mirage plus and the boat would not hold. Planing was tuff and the blow out in the turns was worse than My old 22ZX. I tried a 25 Mirage plus and the boat would not stay on plane in 3-4 footers in the Cheasapeake bay. The only prop I have found that will work consistently is a 24 MERC/LAB Bravo I. Have fun testing props. It took me the first month of the season to get it right. The 3 bladers just would not work with the hull weight and the 17"X-Dim. See you on the water.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-16-2001, 09:54 AM
Hey Bob, that is similar to another owner I talked to, He swears by the Merc 23 OffShore 4 blade.....
Not important at the moment since it is 72 degrees and I am rolling out of the driveway heading to the ramp!
Bryan

Ooops, I will need a couple more gallons of anti freeze.... another $12 down the drain!