PDA

View Full Version : TRS Drive ?

Jamesbon
05-20-2000, 10:34 AM
Fellas,
I just stumbled across a Mercruiser TRS outdrive. At least that's what I think it is. I know from the shape of the upper half, that it's definetly not a Bravo, and does not have an internal transmission, and it's HUGE. Other than the websites with pictures, how can I postitvely identify this work of art? I noticed a series of numbers stamped on the side of the case under the Merc. sticker.

I would still need a gimbal, pumps, and Borg Warner type transmission to make this thing work. I also have mixed feelings about having to move the motor mounts etc. top accomodate for the transmission, but a big block is in the picture in the next year or two, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.....

BERTRAM BOY
05-20-2000, 02:25 PM
Nate,
Try "Outdrives.com"
BERTRAM BOY

GEOO
05-20-2000, 08:12 PM
Nate, Run away, too heavy, waist hp. Find a Bravo. GEOO

Jamesbon
05-22-2000, 08:18 AM
Thanks Fellas. I see your point GEOO. Maybe I'll stick it on EBAY and use the $$ to keep my "flotilla" alive and well.

Thanks...Nathan

Forrest
05-22-2000, 11:59 AM
You can't kill those TRS drives. Yea, they are about 100 or so pounds heavier than a Bravo, and if you had all the other parts like the gimbal, transmission, etc, I would say go ahead and use it. Unfortunately, when you find those parts in good condition they are expensive; however, spending and five to six grand to buy a Bravo drive and a transom assembly in order pick up two to four MPH over the free TRS drive . . . well, you need to make that decision. If you have to squeeze the last MPH out of your GT 21 and money is no problem, then go that route. Better yet go with a SSM #3 or 4, or even a complete Mercruiser Hi-Performance package. You really need to look at the entire GT-21 project and realistically sum up where you want to take it. If you can pick up a TRS transom assembly, transmission, and trim-cylinders fairly cheap, I don't think that you could go wrong, but if you need some cash, good TRS units usually bring at least $2000 to $2500.

------------------
Forrest