PDA

View Full Version : 16 OB Fuel Tank

digitalMan
05-17-2000, 10:40 AM
Anybody know the size of the stock fuel tank in a 16 OB. My guage said I was on fumes and it took 25 gallons. I'm not sure about the accuracy of my guage. Thanks.

Kenn
05-18-2000, 09:06 AM
Before you go changing the sender, and breaking the top of your tank read this:

It has to do with the attitude of the boat.

Is the boat level or nose up or what.
The original tank is a V bottom tank and the sender was generally a floater so if the floater was pointing forward (usual way) then if the nose is up and the tank is 1/8 or less, it reads empty. Remember that the pickup is in the back of the tank so when you run dry it's really dry.
They were generally 25 gallon tanks but sometimes it was a 35.

I'd drain out all fuel and measure what you have and after putting it back into the tank then go fill up on the level and see what you have.

http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Kenn (edited 05-18-2000).]

digitalMan
05-18-2000, 09:46 AM
Thanks Kenn. I'll bet mine is 25 gallons if the sending unit is towards the stern.

I had a scare this weekend. My motor is an '87 Evinrude XP150. The line from the oil resevoir to the VRO pump rotted and I ended up running without oil. I didn't know until it locked up. It started again, but who knows what kind of damage I've done.

Anyway, I've decided to start mixing the fuel by hand. This way I'll be doubling up on the mixture unless the VRO fails again. Then I'll at least have the correct mixture.

This brings up another good question. Does anybody know of an aftermarket indicator that will warn me if I lose oil to the motor?

Kenn
05-19-2000, 07:33 AM
DigitalMan
Did you buy the boat in Panama City??
If so, drop me an e-mail.

http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif

digitalMan
05-19-2000, 08:49 AM
OK. Now madPoodle's got me thinking. I don't mind doing the manual mixing if it keeps me in the water, but can I just pull the oil resevoir line loose and let the pump run dry without destroying it?