PDA

View Full Version : Racing

PaulO
05-17-2000, 10:21 AM
Although I am resistant to showing my ignorance I have to ask this question: What type of racing were the 16s and 18s used for? I am not knowledgable on the topic of powerboat racing but, I am curious as to what type of racing a boat this small with a rough-water capable deep V hull could be included in. Owing Saffels registry entry includes a blurb about his Formula/Aronow Jr. being designed for the Paris endurance race of '63. An endurance race of 16 footers? Did they run around a small lake a thousand times? I love my '73 18' and it is great in rough water for an 18 footer but, an offshore boat it is not. What is/was the venue for these boats?
Thanks,
PaulO

GeneD
05-17-2000, 12:04 PM
Grudge Matches.
Yes, that is the only thing.
As for the endurance race in Paris, they ran up and down the Sienne (sic?) River I believe, and since I can not find my Donzi bible I can not confirm my memory, it was a real race thingy, but more along the lines of showing off the new Volvo outdrive. The book has a nice pic of Jim Wynne and the Donzi in question, which I do not beleive was a Formula, but could have been?
Also, if you have the book, it shows the two bladed prop so common in those days.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

GEOO
05-18-2000, 09:01 AM
I think the 18 was used by Jim Wynne in one of the Miami-Bimini Races. GEOO

Francis O. Saffell
05-18-2000, 03:02 PM
If you go to the Volvo/penta site and click on history, there is a great little movie of Mr. Wynne
running a little runabout over a Ski jump about five times. Pretty cool stuff! http://www.penta.volvo.se/corpinfo/facts/history_files/history_1950.html

Thats as close as I can get ya right now --- server problems.
Its in there as a Quicktime move just look around on the links.

[This message has been edited by Francis O. Saffell (edited 05-18-2000).]

BERTRAM BOY
05-18-2000, 04:25 PM
Owen,
How about a link ?
BERTRAM BOY

GeneD
05-19-2000, 11:20 AM
GEOO,
I think that boat was my 007. He set a record, and made it to the Bahamas just in time for Happy Hour! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

GEOO
05-19-2000, 12:21 PM
Gene, Your the MAN!!!! Have a great weekend. GEOO