PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank residue

Desert Fox
11-04-2001, 11:49 PM
On a 16' 1971 Donzi, I'm finding a flour-like residue ( sand colored but soft in substance) in the fuel/water separator. Its obvoiously in the tank from non-use.. Any suggestions on how to get it out of the tank without ripping out the tank itself? Many thanks for any thoughts.. :(

Scott Pearson
11-05-2001, 07:39 AM
That is exactly the prblem Ol Red (Bill) was having with his 68 in Sarasoda a few weeks ago. Yup...Him and I had to get towed in. Cloged the filter so bad that it killed the fuel flow to the motor.

Im sure he will have an answer for you. He must have done something with it when he got home.

If it was me. I would lift the deck and pull the tank. Its a pretty easy job. Once the tank is out just have another one made to the same specs. SP Sheet Metal in Tomsriver NJ did my tank and they did an outstanding job. (732) 929-8666. Ask for Darren.

Just my 2 cents...Thats the only way I would trust the tank.

(NJ)Scott

MOP
11-05-2001, 08:11 AM
Hi my 2 cents, your boat by now 20 years old is due for a tank. The white stuff is more than likely the residue aluminum corrosion. A nice upgrade would be the newer plastic tank now installed in the new boats. I would send donzi a note to find out is there are any issues with installing the new tank, I doubt it plus to my thinking it would make any future buyer of your boat alot more confident.

pmreed
11-05-2001, 08:53 AM
I had this problem years ago in an 8 year old 20' Reinell cuddy. Didn't feel like replacing the tank on a nice but of marginal value boat. Solved the residue problem with a large (oil filter size), Quicksilver fuel filter that I put in front of the fuel pump. It solved the problem, and, at least 5 years later, (sold the boat) it was still working. A great $25.00 solution back then.

Phil

Scott Pearson
11-05-2001, 02:20 PM
The orig. tank in that 71 is steel. A large filter really wont help at all... if its real bad.Thats what Ol Red had on his and it kept cloging.

(NJ)Scott

BigGrizzly
11-06-2001, 06:05 PM
Actually its is a Catalitic action from the tank and the old Lead fuel that was used. I took the screen from the end of my pickup off and put on a bigger filter and then change it often.I use a typical marine type and then dupm the contents ever week. this problem infested my Corsican but now it is clean. It never stopped my engine it just was a thorn. Correction it did stop the engine while the screen was in place tho.

Randy

Moody Blu'
11-06-2001, 11:10 PM
I used the pick up form a jhonson/evinrude metal 6 gallon gas tank.

It was a quick fix to stop the boat from completely clogging up.Definately get the bigger pick up and filter!
I know I would.

Desert Fox
11-07-2001, 04:37 AM
Many thanks guys...

olredalert
11-08-2001, 09:44 PM
Desert Fox,

----Just got back in today from the cloudy south.Hey Poodle,it was beautiful weather all the way home until I hit the Detroit city limits.Of course,its been raining since.My tank problem was definetly varnish build-up from the ten or twelve years of bad storage.We must have flushed out 5 lbs. of the crap.MPs assesment of the fix is correct,and now the old war-horse seems to be running as good as can be expected.Tank guy was super good and I would recommend this method of tank cleaning to any one,but,obviously,much care is needed when dealing with Acetone.I would say to go with a professional if at all possible.Saw 45mph on the original speedo which,while Im not happy with it,seemed quite respectable.The only thing I actually did to the engine was put a new carb on,and change the oil.Didnt even change the plugs.Went to buy a set of the same Autolites that were in it and the counter-guy couldnt even find the same number anymore.LOL!!!!!Anyway,the trip was a blast.Jan and I had a really good time at Alabama Jacks with the famous Madpoodle and his terrific better half,and then went house hunting.Nothing in our price range though,unless you count the construction trailer we spotted!Saw the qualifying races on Wednesday in Key West,and they were fantastic for the spectators but a bit rough for the contestants.We had to leave at the end of the last race and hope all the racers were OK!
-----The DONZI get-together was,in brief,terrific.Cant wait for another meet,factory or not.The Millers and DONZI really are a very special group.This has run a little long,Fox,but I wont be able to get back on for a couple of days,and wanted to thank everyone necessary.Oh,and that includes you,Harbormaster,because without your help all this stuff would never come together!!!!!!!!!!.......just......cold......ol red!back in MI.