PDA

View Full Version : *$#%@&^@ Edelbrock Exhaust Gaskets

kingair
05-15-2000, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know of an exhaust manifold gasket that works with the aluminum manifold.
I have tried the thick three piece per side composite types, the Mr.Gasket type, Mercruiser type. I have faced the manifolds the last time them them off when I put new JEGS heads on. I love the sound...but hate the ticking.
Philip

RickR,GroveCity
05-15-2000, 08:48 PM
kingair
When you find a gasket you like put some Hylomar(Permatex) on them before installation.
I have used it successfully on a leaking manifold to riser joint.
It's rated to 600 degrees.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GeneD
05-16-2000, 06:37 AM
Header gaskets always work for me.
But yeah, I use(d) the Mr. Gasket header gaskets.
(Gee, that is a big use of the word gasket)
Anyway, that is what I have been using for years, unless of course there is a pair already in the Mercruiser gasket set.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Forrest
05-16-2000, 09:11 AM
Those aluminum "log" type manifolds, like Edelbrock, Nicson, Hardin, etc., always seem to start leaking exhaust at the mounting flanges once they get some age on them. This is probably because the cast aluminum flanges are relatively thin. If you look at the way GIL, Stainless Marine, Imco, Kodiak, etc., builds their aluminum exhaust manifolds, the flanges are part of the entire main-body of the casting. You need five- or six-inch-long bolts to mount these manifolds, where as with the aluminum log-type exhaust manifolds, regular old 1-1/4" header bolts are required. The warping problem only gets worse the more times you machine the flanges flat.

------------------
Forrest