PDA

View Full Version : Adding Power Trim to 270 vs Speed Benefits

Craig
05-15-2000, 04:48 AM
Can someone tell me if adding power trim to a Volvo 270 will aid in gaining some speed? I assume some aftermarket power trim unit is available (would also be interested in a tip on what brand works with a 270). The reason this question popped into my head was that I woke up suddenly around 4 a.m. this morning and just got to thinking about power trim (sick, I know)... anyway, I was wondering if a power trim unit would raise the drive higher than the highest pin setting on a 270. If it does, that should increase speed a bit, correct? I realize the higher up the drive goes, the more squirrely the boat gets and maybe that highest pin setting is a maximum height for running w/o damaging the drive, but that is basically my question. Thanks for any help.

Craig
05-15-2000, 11:07 AM
Forgot to ask: Does (did) Volvo have a power trim unit for a 270 (i.e. did they ever make one that was an available option?).

PaulO
05-15-2000, 11:08 AM
Unfortuntely, I do not believe there is a retro-fit power trim setup for the Volvo. There were some romours once on this site, of someone making a setup but, the pictures never materialized. I have recently swapped my 280 for a Merc Alpha setup mainly for that reason plus the power steering and less drag. I cannot tell you how much speed you would gain from power trim if it were available but, I can pass on this interesting observation: With the 280 drive, when I set the trim to the highest setting (manual pin), the boat got faster but, really squirrely to the point that I changed it back. The Merc at a high trim setting never gets squirrely. Don't know why. The Volvo was tight as far as bushings so, that's not it. In other words, even if you could trim the Volvo, I don't know that you want to.
PaulO

Forrest
05-15-2000, 11:16 AM
Volvo made a few 270T (for trim) versions, but the 280T was more common. All 290 versions had power trim.

------------------
Forrest

Craig
05-15-2000, 11:41 AM
Thanks Forrest and Paul. So thats what the T in 270T is for "trim" Duh! I've noticed that in my Volvo book but never thought about it. Also I think from Paul's comment that a power trim unit must take the drive higher than the top pin in the locked position as you have without power trim. Thats probably why your 280T was getting real squirrely. Thanks again! Still interested if anybody know of an aftermarket trim thats reasonably priced.

klink
05-15-2000, 04:08 PM
I know a guy who rigged a pair of merc rams on a 250 drive, I'm told he got it working alright.

GeneS
05-15-2000, 09:13 PM
The boat that my buddy bought in Mich. that we have been having all the trouble with the water in the crankcase (still unresolved, but new heads on order) has a real nice dual hydraulic ram setup with a 270 drive. The system does trim and tilt and works great. Looks like a lot of trouble to fab up at home though.

I'll get some pictures and post them tomorrow.

Hey Forest, I want to swap out my 270 for a 280T to get the trim. The shop here in P'cola wants $1000 for a 280T transome plate with the hydraulics (not installed). Is this a good price or should I keep looking? How much trouble is it to swap out a 270 for a 280T?

Thanks

------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"

Forrest
05-16-2000, 09:46 AM
If it's not corroded and since they are difficult to find, it *may* be a good deal. After removing your 270 transom assembly, you will need to enlarge the opening in a few places. You will have problems with your external Hyanutic steering ram mount. Most likely, you will need to mount the ram connection to top of the drive, and relocate the cylinder mounting on the transom end. Lucky for you, this exact upgrade has been done before to Kim Hermann's '72 X-18 (not in the registry) in Norfolk, Virginia. You have to get the geometry correct in order to allow the drive to go up and down in any steering position and clear the trim ram housings on the 280T transom assembly. We did this job about ten-years ago and I think Kim still has the wood pattern to build the steering mount for the outdrive. If not, a pattern could be made from the actual part that was cut from 3/8" stainless-steel plate which is now in use on his X-18. Send me an e-mail an I'll hook you up with Kim . . . I hope you like talking about Donzis and have cheap long distance rates(LOL)!

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-16-2000).]

AVickers
05-16-2000, 10:23 AM
Is that the "elephant ear" setup your're talking about?

If so, I looked at one last year to replace the transom plate on my 280. It appeared to have a couple of extra through-bolts, but it didn't look like a big deal to fit it up...

My boat (Classic 18") porpoises noticeably at moderate speeds in all but the innermost setting. Once up and running, it does fine on the outer settings and my guess is that it's faster (it'll turn about a hundred more RPM on the top), but it's too much hassle and hopping around going through the porpoising phase to get it there. Especially since there are days when I'm not running it flat out.

The more onerous handling problem w/ my 18 was torque steer and that's what I focussed on last season. I have effectively fixed that w/ the addition of hydraulic steering.

Now for the trim????

Actually, it's all on hold 'cause I ended up getting a 22'.

If I end up keeping the old rig, I'll more-than-likely end up changing out the transom plate and adding Bennett Sport Tabs as well. The whole job should come in at about a grand. I'll probably also go ahead and add a hundred horsepower or so while I've got everything else apart...

Never content w/ the status quo!

GeneS
05-16-2000, 03:49 PM
OK, I have pictures of the 18' 2+3 with the power trim 270.
------------------
Gene Schmidt
'74 X-18 "Chi Chi"
http://www.donzi.net/Dcp_0536.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/Dcp_0538.jpg

[This message has been edited by harbormaster (edited 05-16-2000).]

BERTRAM BOY
05-16-2000, 06:14 PM
WOW !!!

Forrest
05-17-2000, 04:13 PM
Interesting! But where did he get those extra short Mercruiser power-trim cylinders! I guess that if you have access to a machine shop you could pull it off.

------------------
Forrest