PDA

View Full Version : burnt exhaust hose

clayman
11-04-2001, 01:04 PM
Hey Guys,
I am still shaking down my new (for me) 86 Donzi . When I bought it the kid said he thought it needed new manifolds, because it was over heating. Well, I put the rubber hoses for the exhaust back together and ran the boat. it ran pretty good. no overheating. That turned out to be a faulty temp sender. so after about 10-15 times out on the lake, it quit on me yesterday and I was towed in. I fussed with it for a while and discovered the starboard side rear spark plug wire was off. I little bit excited about the possiblity of more power and speed, I checked the plug, hooked it up and the engine fired right up. It sounded better than ever. I took it for a ride, and boy what a difference. BUt, within 2 mins, I smelled burning rubber, and saw lots of smoke. I made it back to the dock, but the entire starboard side exhaust burnt itself to death. it blew holes in all three pieces. Is this a plugged riser, or manifold not getting the water to cool it? IF I need a replacment, are the Emi thunder, or stainless marine headers worth the $1000? Also, the s-pipe system form eddie marine is listed at $1200, that seems like alot for a couple pipes? how much are the custom systems? Anyway, any advise is appreciated,
James

clayman
11-04-2001, 11:04 PM
Help.
please someone give me some advice. I am now thnking of ordering emi thunder manifold with the cheaper aluminum riser ($750 + $260)
or IMCO thumper power for $957 for both
anyone have either of these?
James

clayman
11-05-2001, 08:07 AM
Hey Scott,
I pulled the riser off, and it pretty rusty and flaky inside. I doesn't seem to have much space to flow water, and it is cracked, so I guess it is time to upgrade. The three hose I was refereing to was the more flexable rubber hose between the riser and the first elbow, then a stiff straight piece, then anthoer aluminum elbow, then another straight stiff rubber piece connected to the tip. It makes an "S" down to clear the power steering ram system .

Jim