PDA

View Full Version : don't wanna winterize

Digger
11-03-2001, 07:31 PM
I just got a "boatsafe" engine compartment heater. I will hard wire it into the boat, plug in the shorepower cord, and see how well it works. It comes on at 45F and off again at 55F, a fan in the unit keeps turning for ten minutes after the heating element turns off to keep the warmer air moving around. Anyone have any experience with these? I live in Stafford county VA where the "winters" last December to March, thereabouts, and rarely does it stay below 25-30 degrees day after day. The boat stays in front of the house on a trailer. My hunch is the heater will stay ahead of the cold. Any thoughts?
p.s. looking forward to meeting lots of you folks, what a great site this is (thx Scot) and to all you Lake Winni people yer driving me crazy! My folks live in Tuftonboro but is rare for me to be able to get home. I was on the lake this June for a week with my boat but that was before I found this site! oh well, next time...

RickR
11-03-2001, 08:04 PM
Don't forget to leave your drive down so rainwater cannot puddle there and freeze.

marcdups
11-03-2001, 08:05 PM
Think of a back up if the weather gets really nasty, ie; freezing rain and below freezing for over 3 days, no power to run the heater!!!!!!!

my 2 cents

Marc

Gearhead99
11-04-2001, 07:21 AM
Think...Snow or Ice storm. No electric, no heater==no engine..

Sam
11-04-2001, 07:38 AM
There are a few brave soles who live on their boats all year here in Michigan. Duringthe winter they bubble their boats in the water and use your device to protect the engine room. I like the idea because of the fan pushing air around. You might want to think about sealing the engine area off from the rest of the boat to maxamize the effect of the unit. Good Luck !

Sam

riverrat
11-04-2001, 08:54 AM
Being from Houston, I only drain the motor,fuel cooler and exhaust. I also pull my battery. do ya'll have to worry about anything else? :D
the Rat..

Digger
11-04-2001, 08:59 AM
thx all, good tips. think I may invest in a small generator, enough capacity to handle the shorepower load, which wouldn't be much...so I guess during the icestorm I'll live in the boat cuz I'm not shelling out enough for a generator that'll power the house :D