PDA

View Full Version : Ski off Lift Ring???

Blewbyu
05-13-2000, 08:40 PM
I just got up the courage to drill two non-factory holes in the transom of my 74 X-18 in order to mount a ski tow ring (took an even six-pack). After the deed is done I ask- Could I have water skiied or barefooted with the towrope on the lifting ring? Was afraid it would have torqued the shaft or caused the hole in the deck to enlarge. Please tell me I did the right thing????

------------------

Emmo
05-14-2000, 01:07 AM
I use the lift ring to pull skiers and have even attached a old Correct Craft-type trick release. No problems so far except I think it has rubbed some of the chrome off of it.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

HOWARD O
05-14-2000, 06:12 PM
Ours was definitely getting torqued. During restoration, we put ski eyes on the transom just as you did.

Craig
05-15-2000, 05:01 AM
I've used lift ring a good bit for past 15 yrs. to pull skiers from heavy (200 lbs +-)slalom skiers (thats me) to heavy barefoot skiers (me also). So far, no noticeable deformation of the ring, hole, or shaft. Stuff like deep-water barefoot starting (which I haven't done with this boat - prop pitch won't allow it) or aggressive slalom skiing (which has been done from this boat), pulls pretty hard, but, as I said, my ring seems o.k. for it. Never hurts to be careful though. I guess they were designed primarily for the upward pressure of lifting vs the straight back pressure of skiing.

harbormaster
05-15-2000, 06:19 AM
Do you really want to take that kind of chance with your beloved lift rings?

Ask Gene how easy they are to find when you need them.

http://www.donzi.net/sig.gif

PaulO
05-15-2000, 04:04 PM
Well, I never did ski off the lifting eye but just the other day for the first time ever, I lifted the stern of the boat from the ring. I was moving the boat from the dolly to the trailer and it was convenient. Engine hoist to lifting ring and it worked. I was nervous though.
Paul

GeneD
05-16-2000, 06:44 AM
Don't get me going Scott!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

CDMA
05-20-2000, 09:59 AM
hehehe...those lifting rings are REAL strong. Actually as we speak my boat is hung off of them.....well it was when I left...

CDMA

DonziDave
05-20-2000, 09:13 PM
On the strength of the lifting rings...like CDMA, I hang my 18 in my boathouse from the rings. I installed an ACE cable hoist and had a set of nylon lift straps made which pass thru the lift rings and snap on the galv. lift hooks (that way - no contact with the lift hooks to bugger the rings or chrome). With the boat raised I can use a walk board under the hull to clean, wax, etc. No belly straps or sinking Hydo-Hoist. When I was first considering this approach, I discussed at length with Donzi factory. They said hang-away! Been hangin' for 13 years - no sweat! Works like a charm. Dave

Tony
05-20-2000, 10:27 PM
With the helm on the port, and the battery, my boat has a list at rest. Does this show up when you lift with the rings?

DonziDave
05-20-2000, 11:35 PM
Tony - My boat hangs perfectly level. Probably because my battery is under the rear seat on the centerline of the boat. Helm is on starboard and outdrive trim pump and trim tabs pump is on port so they must compensate for each other. Dave

Kenn
05-21-2000, 09:06 AM
Using the lifting rings for skiing.
As long as you use the rear one your fine.
Have used them for 30 years without any deforming.
I suspect that those who experience deforming have too much slack in the connecting rod that goes to the lift bracket.
The lifting ring should be within a 1/32 of seating in the escussion and there should be no vertical play.
I did make a nylon double ended braid to avoid excessive wear of the chrome and as I said it works fine.

If you look at the new lift rings that come on the new boats, the new shape may cause a problem...

PaulO
05-21-2000, 09:37 PM
I echo Ken's sentiment. Please don't ski off the front lifting ring. This could result in death or worse, death followed by embarassed family members and an entrance into the "Darwin Awards". This is a yearly competition that examines news items and decides which numbskull has contributed the most to the cleansing of the gene pool.
Paul

Blewbyu
05-22-2000, 08:22 PM
Damn! That was the problem.......I WAS using the front ring..........
Sorry to have had you all stirred up fer nuthin.......
Thanks for the thought.