PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump?

Scott Pearson
05-13-2000, 12:26 PM
What Bilge pump have any of you had good luck with. Im looking at running the square Rule 800GPM pump.Along with the the Rule 3 way deluxe rocker switch. Trying to get this boat set-up so I can flip this Hull over and get it ready for paint...this fitting stuff gets to you after awhile.

(NJ) Scott

digitalMan
05-15-2000, 09:33 AM
Here's a pretty good article:
http://www.marinesurvey.com/yacht/bilge_pumps.htm

I think the guy has some valid points. I agree that those little 500 - 1000 gph pumps are pretty worthless. I used to work at a marine supply store and we sold hundreds. Mostly to people who were replacing them. I also agree that Rule is the way to go.

I also think he's off his rocker with some of his points. If I went with his recommendations, I'd have 2 pumps with a total of 2500gph in my 16 OB.

I installed a Rule 1500 with a float switch and an on/off/auto switch. The thru hull fitting on my 16 was 3/4" while the output on the pump was 7/8", but rule makes an adapter to step that down to 3/4". It chokes the capacity a bit, but that was better than installing a new thru hull.

Forrest
05-15-2000, 11:40 AM
Man, that makes me re-think my whole bildge pump situation! I'm running a Rule 2000 and a Johnson 2200 in my Magnum. Maybe I should upgrade, but the thing I don't like about any of these bildge pumps with flemsy mounting bases is that about half of the time after a good run in rough water you'll find the pump laying on its side in the bildge. The pump just pops out of the mount or the mount just breaks. Through the years, I have collected a whole pile of Rule 1500, 1750, and 2000 pumps in perfect condition except for that they all need a new mouting base. The Johnson pump seems to hange in there a little better than the Rule in the rough, but I found it upside down more than once as well. Has anyone tired a Lovitt Pump? Someone long ago told me that I would hate it!

------------------
Forrest

RickR,GroveCity
05-15-2000, 12:46 PM
Scott
I use a Mayfair 1200 and a Water Witch solid state float switch on my 18.

Do not use a Rule float switch. On different boats I replaced 4 before I got a clue. http://206.150.187.82/ubb/mad.gif
Rules automatic pumps are OK but they kick on every 2.5 minutes. Makes it kind of hard to sleep at night, you think the boat is sinking.

Make sure you mount the float switch high enough so the pump won't suck air before it shuts down.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

kingair
05-15-2000, 05:21 PM
The Rule 2500 w/ Rule-A-Matic on our 18 has always been the pump of choice. As a rule of thumb that was the unit that the factory installed. p.s. I don't mind being pumped for information.
sorry...had to do it!
Philip

RickR,GroveCity
05-15-2000, 08:40 PM
ScottB
The problem was water getting to the wire near the pivot point, the seal was not good going to the mercury switch.
I gave up on them around 10 years ago, mabe they fixed the problem. At that time I think they were using aluminum wire http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif.

------------------

Scott Pearson
05-16-2000, 09:12 AM
Well I have to say now I have alot to think about. This boat I'm building is not going to stay in the water for any long period of time. So I dont want to go two crazy. My buddy who gets me the parts I need said " If you had any BALLS you wouldnd run a pump at all" That was a good laugh! Well anyway thanks for the info and I will let you know how I make out.

(NJ) Scott

Forrest
05-16-2000, 09:24 AM
Has anyone tried any of the electronic sensor bilge pump switches that have no moving parts? They say that they won't sense oil, but I know that feature has no value here since no one with a Donzi ever has an engine that leaks oil!

------------------
Forrest

RickR,GroveCity
05-16-2000, 11:31 AM
Forrest
I use a Water Witch solid state switch.
A few years ago I had one self destruct over the winter, I don't know why, but I replaced it with the same kind and put it on an accessory switch.
Senses a conductive medium only, runs for 20 seconds after water gets below sensors.
I like not having any moving parts which could get jammed.

------------------

kingair
05-18-2000, 09:33 PM
Hey Guys
John Chisholm lost a boat one time and every boat that he built after that had 2 2500 pumps in it. Take it from the pro... you can never have tooo much pump or too much horsepower
Later
Philip

Kenn
05-19-2000, 07:59 AM
Bilge pumps..

Anyone ever try a LOVIT??(sp)
It's a soilid mounted box on the floor of the bilge.

Recently I saw a unit that is bolted to the transom wall, up high and the water switch is in the bilge and there is a pickup tube that is held in the bilge by a round clamp with a couple of holes to screw it into place. It's a noisy sucker but it wouldn't come loose and it would be less likely to get damaged because of it's location.

My only problem with ALL of these pumps is that they can get clogged up or the picpup gets blocked and I'm with Philip and John that I have two bilge pumps.

On my 18 I mount on in the bilge and the other just in front of the last bulkhead as a backup and the both go to the same exit with a Y at the exit. On my 28 I have three bilge pumps, two in the back and another midships.
It's the cheapest way to stay afloat and often the first sign of a problem happening.

BTW the Rule 2500 is great but for the way it attaches to the bracket. I found that the cage that keeps the external float from getting hung up -- also has the effect of securing the unit so it doesn't fall off.

http://206.150.187.82/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Kenn (edited 05-19-2000).]