PDA

View Full Version : Just Off the Beaten Path

Looped
05-12-2000, 03:51 PM
FYI for any Nascar fans:

Richard Petty's Grandson "Adam Petty" was just killed today during practice up at NHIS in Loudon, NH.

Just if he blew off practice and was cruisen in a Classic on Lake Winnipesaukee today he would have been all set.

Looped

GeneD
05-12-2000, 07:07 PM
You all may not be old enough.
I remember when Peter Revson died back in the sixties.
Feels the same.
An emptyness.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

johndmay
05-13-2000, 07:43 AM
My first hero was Fireball Roberts, who lost his life in '64. There have been way too many losses since then. But know, it's a 19 year old, easy going kid with a mile wide smile. We should all be feeling for Kyle today, and if you have a kid, go hug him.

Hotboat
05-13-2000, 04:40 PM
I remember those days. My hero was Fred Lorenzen. What a duel, those two, Lorenzen & Roberts.WOW time sure flies.

------------------
Hotboat

jon v don z
05-14-2000, 12:26 AM
Death and motorsport...it's gonna happen. I still mourn the passing of Ayrton Senna in Formula one. Arguably the best driver in recent history in the best racing venue. Poof...he's gone.

Donzigo
05-14-2000, 06:32 PM
[Fireball Roberts was my first real hero, too. Drove those Pontiacs in 62,63,64......died in a fire. I think David Pearson was the one who tried to pull him out of the car. Yup, stopped his car on the speedway, during the race to help his buddy. Imagine that happening today.

Spitfire Dave
05-15-2000, 09:42 AM
Ned Jarrett is the driver who pulled the great Glenn Fireball Roberts from his burning wreak. Fireball was allergic to the fire retardent used in the driving suits of the time and his suit contained none.
A little contact with Junior Johnson sent Fireball into the wall at Charlotte during the World 600 on May 24, 1964. Fireball died six weeks later.
As for Adam Petty, sometime things happen that just don't seem fair, and this is one of them. My prayers go out to the Petty family. Godspeed Adam
Spitfire Dave

EricG
05-15-2000, 01:13 PM
In a more boating related story, I was 9 years old when my then hero Bill Muncey died at the wheel of the Atlas Van Lines - Unlimited Hydro, I unfortuntely learned the danger of choosing a professional driver as your hero. Further reinforced when Dean Chenoweth died the next year in the Miss Bud.

As I was boating with my 19 year old sister this weekend, my heart really went out the Petty Family, Adam was too young.....

EG

Forrest
05-15-2000, 03:02 PM
Man could Bill and Dean drive a hydro! Here in Tallahassee the city built a memorial to Dean Chenoweth. Dean owned and operated the local Bud distributorship until his death while piloting Miss Budweiser. One other note, Dean's son was killed in an auto accident while returning to Tallahassee from nearby Alligator Point in 1980, only a short time before Dean's tragic accident. The reason that I know this is that Edie's sister Kim, is a good friend of Dean's daughter, who still lives in Tallahassee. Also, Edie and her friend Wendy, both went to high school with Dean's son. Understandably, Dean was totally devastated at passing of his son. For this reason, some observers feel that when he had the accident in Miss Bud, his mind may have been distracted by his son's tragic event.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-15-2000).]