PDA

View Full Version : FRP Lay-up

Steven Cohn
11-02-2001, 01:21 PM
I am considering the purchase of a Classic for use as a tender. However, I have a few questions the local Donzi dealer could not answer. Perhaps, someone here might be able to advise me. Thank you in advance. Questions:
1. Do early model Classics have thicker hulls?
2. Has Donzi consistantly used the same type of resin in FRP lay-up?
3. Are the decks glassed to the hulls?
4. Are the decks through bolted to the hulls?
5. Are most Donzi Classic engines mounts lag bolted or through bolted to the stringers?
6. Aprox. lbs. of a 16' and 18'.
7. I'm 5'11"-Can I expect my knees to hit the dash of a 16'?

Kent Perroux
11-02-2001, 04:25 PM
From what I have seen through the years..

1. Do early model Classics have thicker hulls? Not sure. Some people complained Don built them too heavy to be fast, but then I have not seen any of the old boats come apart. With the new materials now available, a boat could be made just as strong but much lighter if the right materials are used.

2. Has Donzi consistantly used the same type of resin in FRP lay-up? Good question. With the many ownerships, it is highly likely that different resins were used. What resin does Donzi use now?

3. Are the decks glassed to the hulls? The only classics I have seen that the hulls and decks were glassed together were done by the owners and not the manufacturer. Does Donzi glass them together now?

4. Are the decks through bolted to the hulls? Hull and decks are screwed together at the rubrail.

5. Are most Donzi Classic engines mounts lag bolted or through bolted to the stringers? All I have seen are thru-bolted. I do remember someone saying some years were lagged. This is an easy fix though if that is the only concern on a boat you like.

6. Aprox. lbs. of a 16' and 18'.
Never actually weighed it, but advertised has been about 2600 for the 18.

7. I'm 5'11"-Can I expect my knees to hit the dash of a 16'? Depends on how long your legs are. Drive them both and see which you like better.

Steven Cohn
11-02-2001, 09:10 PM
Kent, Thanks for the info. Steven