PDA

View Full Version : *Gag* Almost can't bring myself to say it.......

OceanCommotion
05-10-2000, 01:17 PM
Four Winns....what the heck is the story with the Unlimited 17 and 19 footers. I spotted a 17 for sale with virtually no information on it at all. Just said "17 foot runabout, 302 EFI"- so I looked at the graphic on the side, did a search on "unlimited" on the net, and bingo: I find out it's a Four Winns. Yuck. Aside from that major roadblock, does anyone know anything about the unlimiteds? They almost look a little bit like a donzi-type hull. That was what threw me off in the first place.

Frank Civitano
05-10-2000, 05:22 PM
Thats one boat you want to keep away from.
That was a copy cat Donzi hull. Made lighter and with very bad workmanship. Three of the major magazines downed the boat The boat Chined so bad that the rear passengers can get thrown out! I dont think they make that boat anymore. I drove one before I bought my 16. Yuc is the right word.

------------------
Frank Civitano

Tony
05-10-2000, 05:37 PM
I also looked into the Unlimited 17's and 19's, as there are several for sale in the Michigan area. One was a custom white on white job made for Detroit Piston Grant Hill, with the center rear seat replaced with a $3,000 stereo system!

A Four Winn's rep e-mailed me some very detailed information, including a review of the boat's performance by a magazine. Doesn't sound as bad as what Frank C. claims above, but the opinion is most likely biased. They are sharp looking, and with the Duoprop I can't imagine bad chine walk. E-mail me if you want more information...

BERTRAM BOY
05-10-2000, 06:36 PM
Frank C.'s opinion may be a little biased. however, a good friend of mine just bought a Four Winns and it's not exactly Bertr...uh I mean Donzi quality.
BERTRAM BOY

Tony
05-10-2000, 07:10 PM
I meant that the opinion of the rep from Four Winns was the one that is biased...

FASTEDDIE
05-10-2000, 08:10 PM
Hey, it boils down to Donzi is the teacher
and Four Winns is the pupil. Now I ask you who do you want to deal with, the teacher or the pupil?

------------------

harbormaster
05-10-2000, 09:51 PM
Ed, Depends on what the pupil looks like.

MattM
05-12-2000, 01:49 PM
When those first came out I saw them at a boat show and talked to the factory rep. and he told me this: When OMC owned Donzi those boats were developed to be the replacement/ evolution of the classic series. Before this could be implemented OMC liquidated Donzi. They still had these boat designs sitting there so they gave them to Four Winns after a couple of years.

OceanCommotion
05-16-2000, 12:50 PM
Tony- thanks. I got your info in the mail today. I appreciate it.