PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

GeneD
05-10-2000, 07:05 AM
What's the deal with the upcoming holiday?
Anyone got plans?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

boxy
05-10-2000, 08:54 AM
I'll be boating in the lovely 1000 Islands region of Up State New York/ Eastern Ontario. You're more than welcome to come for a cruise, but I'm sure you're looking for something a little closer to home.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

PaulO
05-10-2000, 09:56 AM
Boxy,
Will you be attending the Lake George kickoff? I have made reservations and joined the club.
Paul

boxy
05-10-2000, 10:24 AM
Pualo, it's unlikely I'll be making the trip this year, it would be about a 600 mile weekend, but you never know.
GeneD, I've finally got a line on the 18 that's being stored on the island, and I'm going to look at it sometime over the May 22 weekend. All the info I have on it now is that it's powered by a HM 302, spinning through an old Volvo drive, and it hasn't been wet in at least 2 years. I'll send you more info after I see it.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario

Emmo
05-10-2000, 11:08 PM
Forrest-
What's the deal with Carrabel? Can I still get a room?

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

Forrest
05-11-2000, 09:53 AM
I tried, but I'm too late. Apparently, The Moorings was booked long before I called a about a three weeks ago. Bummer. I may just have to go boat camping over on Dog Island. Bring a tent.

------------------
Forrest

Emmo
05-11-2000, 10:14 PM
I have a tent, but no ocean going vessel. Got a spare spot on the Magnum? When will you be going over?

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

GeneD
05-26-2000, 07:53 AM
Anyone else doing something interesting this weekend?
I'll be taking old 007 over to Ski Island tomorrow, watch the race on Sunday, then possibly Wet-N-Wild on Monday, if the money holds out.
Speaking of 007, I got to get going and fix my ignition problem. Wish I could afford new wires.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Jamesbon
05-26-2000, 10:10 AM
Fellas,
I'll be installing the last 4 new adjustable guide plates on the 388, as my machinist overlooked or didn't care that the roller tips on the roller rockers weren't centered on the top of the valve stems. (I'll be sure to give him more business - NOT!!) So, while the Donzi engine continues yet another transformation, I'll ease the pain by taking the Supra to a nearby lake, or maybe to the Butler Chain lakes in Orlando.

At some point, we have to have a "Florida Donzi Get Together." Till then, happy Boating.

Nathan
jamesbon@ij.net

CDMA
05-26-2000, 02:40 PM
1500 grit paper, water and fresh paint....need I say more. I hate hand sanding.

Chris

PaulO
05-26-2000, 02:51 PM
Chris,
You can save time and strokes if you are careful by doing most of the work with 800 grit and then moving to 1500. Just need to keep track of where you are and make sure you have sanded all the 800s down to 1500s. If there are spots that are insufficient with the 1500, you will see it in the compounding phase and just sand some more.
Just make sure there is enough paint.
Paul

Kenn
05-26-2000, 03:01 PM
Say, does anyone know who in the NorthEast that removes bottom paint with pressure water and bicarbinate or baking powder??

There was a place in Mass about 5 years ago but I can't find it.

I have tried the chemicals and they are too trickey for me. The paint is not uniformly thick or thin.

It's some kind of power wash where they hang the boat in a net and the paint is washed off and it does NOT hurt the gelcoat.

Thanks,

Kenn kmg@nsiweb.com

Lineleader
05-26-2000, 06:41 PM
Would you believe I'm going to finally get the GT 21 wet and moving for the first time? That's right, I've owned it a few months, had one attempt that ended in alot of smoke and a busted belt. This will me the second try. However, I'll be in the safe and comfortable confines of Lake Geneva in beautiful Keystone Heights, FL. Wish me luck.........

LL and family

GeneD
05-27-2000, 06:42 AM
Chris, 1500?
Geez guy, you are going all out huh?
I didn't use anything finer than 1000 for either the Corvette or the Donzi.
Just got in a "sample" of Mattahorn (sic?) White Desothane, Buffable System. Can't wait to try it out. I'm painting a Mako with it.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Forrest
05-28-2000, 11:08 AM
Lineleader, Keystone Heights . . . that's over near Starke isn't it? I'll be working in Starke the week of June 6. Send me e-mail. I want to see your GT-21 while I'm there.

Also, it's windy as you know what today (20 to 25 with 30 MPH gusts out of the west). Looks like the planned Memorial Day weekend 100-mile round-trip run through the Gulf of Mexico from St. Marks, to Dog Island will be iffy at best, even in the Magnum. I guess that I may have to run some river somewhere today.

------------------
Forrest