PDA

View Full Version : volvo outdrive lube oil

DOND
10-31-2001, 03:51 PM
Sometime ago I recall a post regarding volvo lube oil. it discussed sae 30 wt oil versus
various types of hyphoid.I have searched for it but have not had any luck.I want to change the lube in my recently acquired 16.
Can anyone help me out?

mattyboy
10-31-2001, 04:27 PM
use high viscosity 80/90w gear lube.
I used 30 wt this season when I drained it it had no water in it but it didn't look to thick! I use 90wt hi vis from now on!

Matt

boldts
10-31-2001, 05:27 PM
DOND,

I have a Volvo 250 on my 18'Classic. I have always used a straight 30 weight oil in my drive, but Big Grizzly in a recent e-mail to me suggested that I use Amsoil 75-90 oil instead of the 30. Grizzly has always given me great information when ever I have asked him about my Volvo drive. I have not drained the oil out of my drive yet because I heard rummors of 70 degree weather in OH this weekend and I may get the boat out one more time. When I change the oil though, I am going to spend the extra dollars to put the heavier oil in my drive. :)

BigGrizzly
10-31-2001, 11:22 PM
Thanks Scott. I have used gear oil since the late 1960's, after a old highperformance guy said this is the only his E-drives would live. then in the early 1990's another friend had this memo that said to use it in V8 applications. now this is vhat Volvo recomends in their newer drives. I havn't had any outdriv problems since the late 1960's and still have that boat. I now use Amszoil in all my drives both Volvo and Merc.

Randy

mattyboy
11-01-2001, 08:14 AM
Hey Griz,
where do you get the amszoil? is it a special order item I have not seen it at the marinas or west marine! any leads thanks
Matt

BigGrizzly
11-01-2001, 06:31 PM
W Batman is my supplier and is on the registry. he has little Red a 16 clasic

mattyboy
01-28-2010, 06:32 AM
this has been discussed numerous times , here is some more info
from the pages of the 1969 Holman Moody
volvo 250 owners manual

silverghost
01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Any good auto store should carry the hypoid 90W gear oil.
NAPA, Pep Boys, Autozone,Advance, etc.
Basically the same lube as is used in many Auto & Truck rear-end Diff. Gears.
Great post on the old H-M service/owner's manual Matty !

CHACHI
01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Brad, it is not basically the same....it is the same.

If this were mine, I would use a 75w-90 GL5 gear lube and call it a day.

Ken

MOP
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I have had this discussion a few times like here it has been hashed and rehashed, I formed an opinion that I think is decent. The V9olvos have run for 30+ years on the same oil as in the engine and will continue with no issues, but for even better longevity the switch to hypoid is fine. But in several conversations it was brought up about the extra drag the higher viscosity caused, now to reduce that drag but maintain the viscosity there is only one way synthetic. The top contenders are Red Line Shock Proof, Amsoil, and Spectro. I truly think they will all yield the same excellent qualities, I am pretty sure we have suppliers for all three on the board. So you stockers can continue with good engine oil and the guys with some extra HP can go the other route you will all be fine.

CHACHI
01-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Ok guys, oil viscosity 101 is coming your way.

The first thing you have to know is oil viscosity DOES NOT GO ON A LINER SCALE , 5,10,15.........75, 80, 85 etc.

Engine oil and gear oil are rated on TWO different scales.

Engine oil starts at 0w and ends at 70. Gear oil starts at 75w and ends at 250.

To say a grade 70 engine oil is the same or even close to a 75w gear oil IS WRONG, VERY WRONG. A grade 70 engine oil is MUCH, MUCH heavier than a 75w gear oil.

In the case of a 30wt engine oil vs an 80w-90 gear lube for the Volvo outdrive, please note on the following chart that a 30wt engine oil has the same viscosity charateristics as a med-heavy 80w to a light 85w gear oil.

Additive wise the oils are very different, but viscosity wise they are equal.

I would always run a "gear type" oil in an outdrive instead of engine oil.

If viscosity drag is a concern, you can always use a 75w90 gear oil, which would offer better lubrication when cold due the thinner viscosity (75w side) and offer even better protection than a 30wt motor oil when hot (90 side).

Ken

mattyboy
01-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I love when Ken posts on oil :) great info !!!

in the never ending discussion on this, the point I wanted to bring out was.

holman moody in 1969 knew in their applications plus 200 hp v8 setups the normal Volvo recomendation of motor oil would not cut it.
In a Volvo manual from the same era motor oil was recomended, most volvo setups at that time were 4 and 6 cyl. In a later internal company memo Volvo recinded their recomendation in favor of gear oil.

I would also bet the world of "oils" have changed a bit since 1969.

The volvo is an extremely tough drive, my 35 year old drive "went" on motor oil the replacement was 30 years old and was changed to syth . blue merc gear oil. I ran the same speed (I think anyone running a volvo is not to worried about oil drag) it shifted smoother and seemed to be a little more quiet.
That drive is still running under extreme duress, not a problem.

HIGH LIFE
01-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Can anyone tell me how many fluid ounces a e-drive holds ? "HIGH LIFE"

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 09:49 AM
What make & model drive do you have?

mattyboy
01-29-2010, 09:50 AM
not sure?? but the e drive uses the normal volvo upper with the dipstick doesn't it???

so
if that is the case fill it til you get it to the proper level on the dipstick

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
This link should help..
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/outdrives.shtml

HighLife
My bad, I didn't see the E in your above post I thought you were just referring to stern drives in general, maybe because you used a little letter -e-?

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Michael,
I don't know the answer, but my guess is quite a bit less than a conventional Volvo foot due to not having much area in the gearcase. The gears and shafts take up the bulk of the space in the housing. Bill

silverghost
01-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Ken is spot on here !
Gear lube is designed for extreme sliding pressure. Gear lube has many additives in it to aid in this sliding extreme pressure. Gears are specially cut to use this type of Hypoid lube. Most gear lubes also have some form of metal added to it.
Normal engine oil is designed to form a film in tight bearings for parts to float-on preventing actual metal to metal contact.
I would use gear lube in any outdrive.

New2Donzi
10-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Folks,
Again some awsome info here!
I'm getting ready to winterize my 18 with volvo 280.
Would it be fair to say that a good quality 90 wt gear oil be the concesis of most on this board....Ed

BobinCovington
10-09-2010, 12:22 AM
I have been talking to lots of folks that have really helped me learn. I talked the ears off of the nice folks at Redline, Amsoil, Torco and picked up lots of good info on bobistheoilguy.com

I ended up going with the Heavy Shock Proof Gear Oil from Redline. I haven't run it yet since I bought at the end of the season, but I will try to update here after I do. The guys at Torco and Redline know racing and what metal gears and shafts do under stress in tough applications. I feel pretty comfortable with my selection, but talk to people and do your own research so you feel right with your selection.

Gear oil is the right choice for the drive as far as I have gathered. My 1966 Eaton manual says "use a high quality SAE 90 gear oil" which doesn't really narrow it down much. I think the newer and/or synthetic oils hold up much better and offer much improved characteristics.

Just know that you will find almost everyone has their opinion(s) and there may be several "right" answers.

best of luck

CHACHI
10-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Use a multi-vis gear oil.

Much happier parts.

Ken

David Ochs
10-15-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't mean to stir the pot, but I saw Matt's posting of his owner's book and found this interesting. Look at this scan from the owner's manual that I have for my 1969. Go figure....
(sorry it's a weak scan)