PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan

PaulO
05-09-2000, 02:27 PM
Well, I cannot locate my oil leak and my guess is that it is the rear main seal. I will therefore be pulling the engine tonight. The oil pan looked pretty good before I installed the engine but, I figured while it was out I would replace it if I could find a resonably priced pan. The merc dealers want $160 or so which I think is outrageous (a SBC steel pan for your car can be had for $40). Anybody have a good source for a pan?
Thanks,
PaulO

Forrest
05-09-2000, 04:50 PM
PaulO, Aftermarket Discount Marine (http://www.amarket.com/) has cast aluminum SBC marine oil pans. If you don't see oil pans on their web site, give them a call. They list the aluminum pans in their jobber catalog. Eliminate oil pan rust. I hate it. I'll never use a steel oil pan again.

------------------
Forrest

GeneD
05-10-2000, 06:56 AM
Forrest has a point. I've replaced lots of steel pans on Mercs over the years.
PaulO, I doubt that the rear main is leaking. I'll put my money on a misaligned or bad pan gasket. Sorry, but you are right, the motor has to come out regardless.
But hey, one more engine pull and you'll be certifed right?
Oh, BTW.
When I replaced the oil pan in the Corvette some years back. There were only two 1975 L-82 oil pans left in the world. One was in Canada, and the other one was in Europe. I got the one in Canada and it cost me $110. It was painted black and in 7 years it has not rusted or even gotten chipped, inside or out. And it fit perfectly.
Just FYI.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

PaulO
05-10-2000, 07:59 AM
Gene,
It appears you are right. The rear main looks dry but the rear of the pan gasket on the starboard side is really wet. I may be better off not screwing with the rear main. With my luck lately, I'll replace it and it will then leak.
Paul