PDA

View Full Version : harbormaster

RickR,GroveCity
05-09-2000, 08:30 AM
Harbormaster of the Universe
Did you get the Gaffrig distributorship?
I am getting tired of buying safety items for the new 22 (vapor detector, VHF, Depthfinder, etc)
I need something SHINY that will help her go faster!! http://206.150.187.82/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GeneD
05-09-2000, 01:17 PM
You know what I'd like?
A nice shiny, slick looking, fire extinguisher. For cheap.
Where do you get something like that which is Coast Guard approved?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

RickR,GroveCity
05-09-2000, 07:30 PM
GeneD
Eddie Marine (http://www.eddiemarine.com)has a chrome one for $62 http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

Forrest
05-09-2000, 09:43 PM
Rick, Rick! Gene needs something for $14.

Donzi Dave
05-10-2000, 01:55 AM
On the subject of fire extinguishers, allow me to get on my soapbox for a moment and relate a personal experiance. I don't know how many of you have a boat fire, but I have.
Words cannot describe the terror of seeing how fast the fire spreads and the sheer volume of flames. Because in the case of a fuel leak, the fuel pump has dumped a lot of gas before you realize your boat should not be smoking that much.
Many years ago I had a Rayson Craft flat bottom drag boat - 427 Holman Moody Ford - high rise manifold with dual Holleys - dry stack tuned headers over the transom - Cassal V-drive - 136 mph instantly - you get the picture (and I'm still alive).

Anyway, while blasting down the lake I popped a fuel fitting and by the time I realized what was happening I was really flaming. I stop the boat and grabbed the 5 lb. ABC dry chemical extiguiser. As the boat stops, the water in the floor brings the burning fuel with it so now I'm standing in boiling flames. By the sheer luck of the God of boating, as the last little puff of powder came out of that puny 5 lb. extinguisher, the last flame went out. Now I'm holding an empty bottle waiting for a re-light. The 5 lb. empties so quickly you have to nail it on the first shot or you have to swim to shore and pray your insurance company got your check.

So after that experiance I have taken the "Belt and Suspenders" approach. In my 18 I installed a 10 lb. Halon with a heat sensing fusable link and manual switch at the helm (Halon no longer available but other oxygen depleting gas is). This will activate before you realize you even have a problem. The gas leaves no residue to clean up like chemical.
Then for backup I keep a 5 lb. Halon in the cockpit. The little hand held is the minimum legal required for most of our boats, but trust me - it's not enough. - Dave

RickR,GroveCity
05-10-2000, 06:33 AM
Donzi Dave
I've been there http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif
Thats why yesterday I installed a 10BC to go with the automatic Halon.
SAFETY IS OUR #1 CONCERN

------------------

Forrest
05-10-2000, 10:22 AM
Wooo, what a story Donzi Dave. That experience shows that you just can't have enough fire fighting equipment. Also, it pays to check your fuel lines, at least between the pump an carburetor, every time you go out.

One other thing, those pretty braided stainless-steel Aeroquip type hoses and aluminum fittings ARE NOT USCG approved, and are really not all that safe in a boat - especially a boat used in salt water. What happens is that the aluminum fittings corroded where the stainless-steel braiding on the hose meets the fitting. When you build those hoses, the stainless-steel wire ends from the braiding scratches the anodizing in the fitting and speeds up the corrosion process. I put a set of those hoses and fittings on my Magnum between the carbs and fuel pumps and I was replacing the fittings at the fuel pumps after only one season. The Russell Endura fittings are much better for corrosion resistance, but the right way to go is to use all USCG approved stuff. Aeroquip makes a USCG approved hose (sorry, the pretty stainless-steel braiding is covered by a blue rubber jacket) and fittings in either copper alloy or stainless steel. You will need to go to an industrial supply house that is a Aeroquip dealer to find this stuff, but it's worth it.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-10-2000).]