PDA

View Full Version : Alpha SS Shifting

GeneD
05-09-2000, 07:01 AM
Hey, anyone out there with an SS experiencing shifting problems?
I have...ever since I replaced my shift cable in the drive. Maybe it's too tight?
It seems to loosen up in the water, with the trim all the way down.
Aggravating.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Forrest
05-09-2000, 08:13 AM
Gene, it sounds like that the outdrive shift cable is binding somewhere. Next time you pull the drive off, put a block of wood under what Mercrusier calls the "bell housing" to hold it up in the tilted position. Then disconnect the cable from inside of the boat and move it in an out by hand. That puppy should slide freely. If it doesn't, it could be that the cable jacket is worn on the inside.

------------------
Forrest

GeneD
05-09-2000, 01:25 PM
Well big fella, I don't know how to respond to that.
The cable is new, and in retrospect, I should have never touched it. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?
When I was having the problems with the clutch dogs, I first thought the cable might have been a bit worn out, so I replaced it. No easy task I assure you. Not many people have the proper size long wall 9/16 6 point socket turned down to the correct outside diameter. I had to make one.
What I'm thinking is that I put too much torque on the nut.
The run is free of kinks, it's in the proper place, ect.
It's a freak out.
And yeah...next time I pull the outdrive off...
Probably won't be too far off in the future huh!!!!?????

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 05-09-2000).]

GeneD
06-11-2000, 10:04 AM
Okay, this problem has been fixed.
I just ran out of patience with it. It was to the point where I didn't want to take the boat out anymore. It was taking in excess of 15 minutes to LEAVE the launching ramp. Just couldn't get it to go in reverse and stay running. The microswitch would kick in and stay in the coutout position.
Yesterday, I removed the drive from the gimbal and inspected all the shifting mechanisms. The shift cable on the engine bracket was misadjusted for reverse, AND was not binding, just too tight into reverse. Too much adjustment. I loosened up on the barrel nut, the microswitch closed. Then the whole mechanism worked flawlessly.
I then checked out the intermediate shift rod on the drive.
THAT was binding horribly.
I split the upper from the lower so that I could get at the shift rod. When I did, gear oil seeped out from the upper/lower gear housing oil passage and I was appalled to discover that I've gone too long without changing the fluid. It was very dark and smelled burnt. After checking the drain plug, I was relieved to find a clean magnet. Very clean as a matter of fact, kinda scary huh?
Anyway, I got the intermediate shift rod out with difficulty, it was just way tight in the nylon bushing. Took all that apart and sanded smooth the rod and cleaned up the inside of the nylon bushing with 600 grit sandpaper, and the same for the bushing hole in the gear case. Smeared everything with anti-sieze compound and assembled the whole thing.
Changed out the oil with the special Lake X High Performance outdrive oil. Tried to start the motor, only to discover that I left my panel lights on for a week and now my battery was dead!
Got a jump start from one of the cars, got the 'ole 270 Merc to fire up. Shifted into forward with no effort. Shifting into forward and reverse is now a dream.
I am so relieved. What a nightmare to live through, not knowing what the hey the problem is I mean.
I kinda thought it might be the shift rod binding up, but I didn't expect to find it binding up as much as it was.
Trial and tribulations of the Alpha SS.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 06-11-2000).]

GeneD
06-12-2000, 10:00 AM
Oh my goodness.
This thing shifts so fine now, it is a scary thing.
No problem at all with the drive.
Now, if I could only figure out the popping noise at WOT everything would be okay with the world.
Wrong spark plugs is my theory. I went with the projected tip plugs and I think they are too hot.
Any suggestions?
Other than that, 007 is running awesome.
I love sitting on the boat pulled up to the beach and hearing the "...007..." every now and then in people's conversations!
It is such an ego boost.
And a guy with no job needs an ego boost, you know?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida