PDA

View Full Version : Merc xhaust flappers

klink
05-08-2000, 12:30 PM
Helping my bud with his 70-something searay and we find one of the flappers is missing is there an eay way to get at these or are we going to have to pull the motor, can we get away with sliding it ahead an inch or two.
Thanks....Dave

GeneD
05-09-2000, 06:46 AM
The unfortunate thing with the Merc Y pipe is that in order to service it, the motor must be removed. You just can't get to the mounting bolts unless the motor is out. Otherwise you have to be the world's best contortionist.
The Y pipe has 4, 12 point bolts that need to come out.
You might, and I stress might, be able to remove the elbows and get at them that way. If you could remove the elbows, there is a good chance you could repair it right there, but there is a space limitation.
But wait, how do you know that the flappers are gone? In a Y pipe, you can't see them, until the elbows are taken off. In a thru hull configuration you could probably look in there with a flashlight.
What kind of exhaust does he have? Tell me more.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 05-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 05-09-2000).]

RickR,GroveCity
05-09-2000, 08:22 AM
Depending on where you boat, freeboard, deadrise,and height of risers above water line you may not need flappers.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GeneD
05-09-2000, 01:28 PM
I like flappers, but only with the proper setting and music!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

AVickers
05-09-2000, 01:56 PM
Actually, most true flappers are approaching 100 years of age!

Unless I'm missing something, you like flapper replicas...

klink
05-09-2000, 10:49 PM
We found one of the flappers when we pulled the drive, as someone had done a nice job of replacing the motor last spring we were hoping they had been changed, we pulled the manifolds and checked with a light and mirror and sure nuff its gone. I imagine he'll run it this year without it and be carefull not to stop too fast.
The other thing I noticed was they used a valve cover of each engine (the old and the new)and run a pvc valve to the flame arrester from bothe sides,should'nt one side have a breather cap?
Thanks...Dave

GeneD
05-10-2000, 06:50 AM
Yeah Dave, one side should have a regular old tube thingy coming out of the cover. A relatively inexpensive piece.
Chances are though, you won't encounter any problems with the rig the way it is, but...you should replace it anyway, just because.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida