PDA

View Full Version : Need Prop Advice for new 16 classic v-8

Max
10-30-2001, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Max and I just bought a new 16 Classic with a 5.0 mercruiser and alpha drive. I am having the dealer install the correct stainless steel prop and was wondering if anyone new what the best one for speed is. This is truly a great site and I would appreciate your input.
Thanks, Max

Sam
10-30-2001, 05:52 PM
Congrats on your new baby ! I would work with your dealer starting with a 19" and work my way up keeping detailed records of the performance. I think most of us with sixteens are running in the 21" range. I'm sure there will be many opinions, different strokes for different folks.

Sam

Last Tango
10-30-2001, 08:31 PM
Mirage Plus 23P ought to be the ticket for that boat and drive combo. Same prop works just fine on the smaller V-6, so if IT can push a 23, a 5.0 should do it even easier

Max
11-01-2001, 05:36 PM
Well we tried five different props and the best one all around was a Mercury Revolution 4 propeller (Stainless Steel) 23 pitch cupped. Top speed is 62 mph on the gps with a slight chop. I love my boat!
Thanks everyone.
Max

BigGrizzly
11-01-2001, 06:25 PM
Before I found the Turbo Vector, thr rev 4 was the best , it worked better than the marage plus by a little ans it handled better also. the vector was better yet. You need to try them all, each boat is different even the same combo one will be better on one boat then another. One more point the turbo is lighter than the Rev4, easier to turn. I don't want to sound like a turbo salesman, but now I am a beleiver. On my boat and several others they outran all the mercs and others.

Randy

mattyboy
11-02-2001, 07:26 AM
Griz,
do they make a turbo for a volvo setup or just merc? how expensive are they? my spinelli ran around 450?are they more than that

Matt

BigGrizzly
11-04-2001, 06:11 PM
Turbo doewsn't make one for the older Volvos. However Solas does. They have a nice 4 blad in left and right versions that suprised me a couple of weeks ago may be just the ticket for us Volvo guys. It looks like a merc Revolution 4. I' thinking I sould try one on my Corsican just for kicks.
Untill then I like the hill Prop.
Randy