PDA

View Full Version : Quick exterior finish question

Steve Smith
05-08-2000, 07:43 AM
Any recommendations for a product to use on the exterior of my Teal Z-25? I've got a little bit of a chalky haze and would like a suggestion for a product that I could use and not risk making too big of a mess out of things.

Thanks.

------------------
Steve Smith
Cullman, AL
scsmith@hiwaay.net

Hot Water Man
05-14-2000, 12:23 AM
try buffing it with vasoline it works great and lasts!

Donzigo
05-14-2000, 06:28 PM
Hey, Madpoodle, you've been driving down the highway too fast with those new tires and spending too much time thinking about non-boating things.
Richard

Donziflyer
05-15-2000, 02:10 AM
Steve-

If you want that chalky white on your teal to show itself every three months go ahead and try all these good but temporery methods. They will only solve your problem temporerily if at all.

I own a teal (stripe and sides) and white 22' Classic. I also wanted to keep the teal looking consistant and shiny without investing lots of time and mess. This thinking caused me a huge amount of time and elbo greese for not.

If you want to get rid of the chalk for any lenght of time you will need to at least get messy if not messy and really sweaty.

For long lasting results (this will only work if your finish is not riddled with fine scratches):

1) You will need to clean your Donzi and then dry it well.

2) Using a veriable speed industrial buffer (not an orbital car polisher) set at 2400 RPM, sparingly apply 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compond (part # 05954 found at autopaint supply houses) according to directions (Note: using a wool buffing pad seems to work best when using this product on gelcoat).

3) After removeing excess compound with clean terrycloth towel apply 3M finesse-it II Finishing Material using a veriable speed industrial buffer (not an orbital car polisher) set at 2400 RPM. This product will fill in all the ultra-fine swirl marks and put an outstanding gloss finish on gelcoat. Whipe excess off with a clean terrycloth towel. Using another clean terrycloth towel, whip off any remaining residue and polish to a briliant shine.

4) If you want to make the best of your hard work, apply a coat of Mother's California Gold-Natural Formula pure carnauba past wax (part # 05550). Follow the directions on the wax tin but to get the maximum shine you will need to finish your project with a foam pad on a veriable speed industrial buffer (not an orbital car polisher) set at 2400 RPM.

Hopefully this will work for you depending on how degraded your gelcoat is and how fine you expect your end results to be.

If you want the best results posible you will need to preceed the obove mentioned steps with an 800 grit then 1500 grit wet sanding (do not do this without useing a rubber sanding block. If you use fingertip presure you will end up with a distorted finsh due to the lack of consistancy in the depth of your sanding). This is extremly time and energy consuming but after 25 hours of elbow torture http://206.150.187.82/ubb/eek.gif and 4 hours of buffer time spread out over the last three months my Donzi is shining like an emerald on mother-of-pearl. I expect to invest only light maintanance to keep it that way for thr next 3-4 seasons.

Donzi on!!!

------------------
PaulH

[This message has been edited by Donziflyer (edited 05-15-2000).]