PDA

View Full Version : Calling Prof. Poodle,Big Grizzly & Woodsy!!!!

Dr. Dan
02-21-2002, 07:19 PM
Question, Off Boating Topic: Rebuilding my front suspension on my 1993 Ford Lightning. What specific parts should I replace, I want it tight for the Road Trip to AOTH II. It has 153,000miles on it and I've rebuilt everything but the front end, before the paint artist gets it, I want all the grunt work completed. I'll take comments from anyone who is familiar with the necessary components,Springs,Bushings,are there ball joints,Tie Rods,etc,I have new Edelbrock Shocks on all four corners now, and Slam Air Bags in Rear for extra Grunt for keeping it level while Towing The Donzi, inquiring minds want to know...it goes to the operating room on the 4th of March? :D Thanks in advance guys!!!...Doc

Woodsy
02-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Dr. Dan...

How is the ride of the truck? If it still rides OK, then no need for new front springs. But you are probably looking at inner & outer tie rod ends, a centerlink (I don't think the Lightning has rack & pinion) and probably a new pitman arm. I have to admit, my knowledge base is more 4wd. You might want to replace your front sway bar bushings, polyurethane is really great, but it squeeks when it rubs. When its all said & done, get a front end alignment. Any really qualified mechanic can rebuild your front end for you. If you go to your local NAPA, and look at the chassis book, you can see how it all goes together and get all of the parts you need.

Woodsy :D :D

Looking forward to seeing you & yours at the Winni Poker Run....

Gearhead99
02-21-2002, 08:15 PM
If the front end feels "loose" then replace all the tie rod ends, inner and outer. Also, replace idler arm and pitman arm. Try adjusting the steering box play too.

Lastly replace the radius arm bushings.

That should make it "TIGHT"

Dr. Dan
02-22-2002, 04:38 AM
Thanks Guys, :D , this will almost make me sound intelligent when I go into the shop,now if I could only "Look Intelligent".....Hmmmm? wink ...Thanks Again, Doc

RickR
02-22-2002, 08:22 AM
If you don't have one I'd add a steering stabilizer.

BigGrizzly
02-25-2002, 08:14 PM
After this the only thing left is the right front bumper. I would replace the bushingswith the poly kind -eliminates the mushie feeling

Randy

Formula Jr
02-25-2002, 09:27 PM
If you're going to tow stuff, you need the front anti-sway bar. It will make your suspension feel hard but, it's a "gotta have" thingy. This is why I say, if you're looking at a tow vehicle, get a factory tow package - it's a different animal. Retro fitting another vechicle to tow is'nt cost effective.

Dr. Dan
02-25-2002, 09:45 PM
Thanks again for the input, the truck is equipt with a factory Tow Package and then some...for those not familiar with the Lightning Packages, they are essentially a Cobra with a 351 and a Bed, Sway bars front and rear, handling comparable to alot of sports cars 300 naturally aspirated HP, a 4" Alum. Drive Shaft, GT-40 intake, a 4:10 Rear = Posi, it's a blast to drive, I just wanted your professional input on components for the front end rebuild and as requested my Donzi Brethren have come through...Thanks So Much...might bring it to AOTH II... wink ...Doc