PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used an LT1/LS1 in their DONZI??

Fonzi Donzi X18
02-20-2002, 08:54 PM
I'm trying to convince my dad to repower his donzi, its an 18'.

I'm a big f body fan and have owned several LT1 and LS1 powered camaros.

Has anyone converted one for marine use?? I'd love to have an LT1 for the low end torque off the line, or better yet an LS1 in my donzi, it would really scream I bet.

Jeff

marcdups
02-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Indmar has marinized versions of the LT1, they supply engines for ski boats mostly, they also have the caddy's northstar engine pushing 330 HP and have a three year warranty on their bobtail engines.

their info, 5400 old Millington rd, Millington, TN 38053, tel: 800 238 7112. or indmar.com

Looped
02-21-2002, 09:28 AM
A couple months back I was just about to buy a new LS1 Block & aluminum heads for my sbc 396 marine project. At first the block and heads are real cheap but once you get into the internal components that’s where you pay the price. Everything on the LS1’s is basically proprietary to its self (heads, crank, cam…) and they want big bucks for them. You will need to have a custom intake manifold made up if you plan on running a carbureted setup and for the exhaust manifolds you will find out that they are not the same as the older style. All of the exhaust ports are evenly spaced on the heads of the LS1 unlike the 2 inside ports that are closer together on the older style heads that adds another additional cost for some uncommon exhaust manifolds. The original LS1 blocks up to 2000 have the cylinder walls so close to each other that you can only have the cylinders bored .010 before you run into trouble. I heard the new LS1 blocks are slightly more generous with boring but not by much.

At that point I decided to can the idea because of other things that kept becoming possible problems.

Craig

windmill
02-21-2002, 12:32 PM
I crewed on a 28 Magnum with twin stock LT-1's back in the late 70's. The boat was so fast that she was challenged and suffered a full tear-down every time she raced. Can't say as I blame the owners of the sport & open class boats for the challenge's. If a production class boat was walking past my sport class in race after race I would have done the same.
Great Engine....in a vette or in a boat.

e