PDA

View Full Version : How to Buff?

RedDog
02-18-2002, 12:46 PM
I am getting ready for the Spring - have the bug real bad. Anyway, my dear mother-inlaw just gave me a 10 inch orbital buffer. The included instructions are all but useless - how do I use it? What covers do I use? Waxes, cleaners, glazers, ... what's the difference and what do you use when.

Thanks

mikev
02-18-2002, 01:27 PM
the bonnets for an orbital buffer are usualy terry cloth. they are for putting on wax, cleaner type wax and glazes. they do not work for polishing you need a high speed buffer for that.
and always start and stop it while it is on a surface if you let it runn not pressed against something it will tear up the bearings in it.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-18-2002, 05:01 PM
For polishing try Sears for their disks and terry cloth pads, they will fit in their big grinder set up... that is what my dad does on his older rigs...
For me, 10" orbital craftsman to apply the wax, I remove by hand....
Bryan

ToonaFish
02-18-2002, 05:25 PM
Cotton terry cloth pad on orbital to apply. Good old fashioned elbow grease and terry towels to remove. And use many pad covers... why risk damage when pads are cheap? Don't wear a belt with a buckle or buttons that could scratch. Work from the top to bottom, outside to inside, to keep from bringing grit into the finished area. Do not use fabric softener (liquid or slips) when you launder your terry cloth pads and towels.

What brand? Man, that's worse that talking politics or religion in polite company. I'm a Fundamentalist Meguiars worshiper, but that's for automotive, dunno marine. www.Meguiars.com (http://www.Meguiars.com) anywhichway.

Bunches,

Celene 'waxing only in the shade and NO HUMIDITY'

David Ochs
02-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Reddog, I have used with (WOW) great sucess the 10" foam waffle pad from 3-M for the high speed buffer. Using their micro fine "Finesse-it" polish it looks awsome. Prior to this it may be neccesary to wet sand and/or polish with something a little heavier (depends on condition). I'd certainly start below the water line to practice before going topside. I can comfortably say that those waffle pads and that polish are pretty safe to use, the danger of burning through is nill.

jwright
02-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that many people apply to much pressure and generate alot of heat. This is really important on paint and decals. I think gelcoat is a little tougher that way.
Just something to be aware of...

Good Luck

Looped
02-18-2002, 08:05 PM
David O. is right about people especially using a buffer on newly painted boats or cars. The newer paints (because of the Feds or who ever being cautious with the ozone problems) are much softer than the older days type of paints. If you try and use a cloth type pad you will eat right threw the clear coat & paint. Foam is the way to go for newer paints and let the buffer do the work not you bearing down on it!

Craig

marcdups
02-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Looped and David are correct, I would use 3M finesse with a foam pad and then use 3M swirl remover, further more wash the boat in between coats, I know it is a lot of work, next, I would in your area try to find a product called Finish First, thought I had the # but nope, I would buff it out with Finish Prep and then go with a couple or more coats of Finish First, the best stuff on the market, wish I had the time to do this with mine, but trust me you better not have anyone walking on the deck after you are done, It may be dangerous to their body parts and health, I will try and find the # to Finish First for ya! good luck

Towel Boy

marcdups
02-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Ok try this out, only if I can do it
http://www.finishfirstpolish.com/finishfirst.html

Sagbay32
02-18-2002, 10:51 PM
I would like to brighten up the red stripe on my deck. Is it possible to buff out the oxidation without ruining the 1/4" black tape stripe that boarders the red? What product would be best to remove oxidation without hurting the gelcoat. I am assuming that the red is gelcoat (the boat is a '95). I have never used anything abrasive on her and don't want to screw it up now.

Thanks

marcdups
02-19-2002, 04:37 AM
Mike, you should be able to do that with no problem, if badly oxidised use 3M super duty compound first and then follow other steps, use a high speed buffer at @ 1800 rpm's with a wool pad though, and then switch to the foam pad, also a good compound but not as agressive is PPG dx 55 if I am not mistaken, afterall i have yet to wake up!!

Have a great day, Marc

Sagbay32
02-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Thank you for the reply. The oxidation is not that bad. The original owner I bought the boat from had the cockpit cover on it while it sat on the hoist all summer. Now the deck and hatch are a little faded. Did the factory change the reds they used over the years? The red on my boat does not look as bright as the new boats. I hope it brightens it up.

mikev
02-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Mike here is an old detailers trick i use alot. were your stripes are that you dont want to burn run a piece of masking tape over them and pull it off after you are done buffing with the high speed buffer. works great for the edges of panels on cars too.