PDA

View Full Version : Z-25 Stereo Question

Steve Smith
05-04-2000, 08:29 AM
Now for a very serious high-performance boating question.

Does anyone have any good ideas for stereo placement/replacement for a Z-25.

I'm currently using a pretty cheap marine stereo/cassette (mounted inside the Cuddy), to which I have added a big amp and Sony CD changer then put a pair of 6x9 JBL speakers in the back.

One very attractive thing about this stereo is that it has a wired remote panel that I have mounted below and to the right of the steering wheel. I also have a wired remote for the CD changer that is mounted under the radio controller. The radio remote has a power switch, volume control, scan for the radio and 2 presets. The BAD thing about the radio is that it was designed for news radio and weather reports--not exactly what I have in mind.

I would love to upgrade to a nice car stereo but do not want to have to scramble down into the cuddy every time I need to adjust the volume or change a radio station. I also can't bear to start cutting holes to mount it in reach of the driver.

What do I do?

Forrest
05-04-2000, 10:28 AM
Buy a stereo with remote control!!!

GeneD
05-04-2000, 10:51 AM
Sea Ray is now using Clarion stereos in all their boats. I do beleive they have remote control. These are great units and I've seen them in used thunderboats with great success.
If anyone can come up with a good solution on where to put one in my boat, the thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Steve Smith
05-04-2000, 11:18 AM
Forrest,

Any idea of a good brand w/ remote?

Forrest
05-04-2000, 11:33 AM
GeneD, you could always put that stereo up there by the serial number in the bow. That ought to keep it dry!

Steve, I really don't know what to suggest, but from what I've seen in the Crutchfield catalog (http://www.crutchfield.com/), some of the higher-end automotive units have a remote.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-04-2000).]

Steve Smith
05-04-2000, 01:11 PM
Eureka--I've been out of the car stereo-buying market for too long.

Sony makes several models with both wired and wireless remotes in both cassette and in-dash CD versions. With the wireless, I won't have to surrender radio control when the first mate takes over the helm or spill my beer when reaching to hit the radio from the back seat. Technology is wonderful!

Crutchfield also has it set up where you can order MULTIPLE remotes. If it's anything like home, I'm sure to lose a remote every month.

Thanks for the help everyone.

FASTEDDIE
05-04-2000, 02:45 PM
Steve, If you are not up on the latest stereos, go to your local library and look through the consumers reports. They have done all of your work for you. You now can sign up for peanuts and get the consumers reports on the web and be able to search past issues. You can't believe how many times you will use it. Very handy.

------------------

OceanCommotion
05-04-2000, 03:07 PM
As an audio nut, I can't recommend Crutchfield enough. They really have taken the hassle out of buying electronics. Just make sure you get one of those sleeves with the plexiglass bubble on the end from someone like E&B marine. The stereo mounts inside that if you're doing any sort of a flush mount. The bubble slides down and covers the face when you're not fooling around with buttons. That'll keep the stereo dry.

Steve Smith
05-04-2000, 03:50 PM
I've settled on a Sony with the WIRED remote. My local expert said that while the wireless is handy, it uses infrared signals meaning the remote has to be in the line of sight of the unit for the remote to work which would mean reaching through the door of the cuddy and aiming the remote at the head unit. With the wired remote, all of the controls are contained in a single button that mounts under the switches on the right side of the dash. There is a slight indentation that should screen the remote from water.
Thanks again all for the advice.