PDA

View Full Version : Need GPS info for upcoming boat trip

Steve Smith
05-03-2000, 04:42 PM
In 2 weeks my crew and I are taking my Z25 up the Cumberland River from Nashville, TN to the Green Turtle Bay Resort (Grand Rivers, KY) and thought it would be fun to have a GPS to play with on the trip. Does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive unit and whether I would get my moneys' worth? I have a friend who has offered to let me take his new 30' Mariah that has a built-in Loran GPS but I can't stand the thought of brushing against a lock wall and tarnishing the new finish. I wish he would go ahead and put a gash in the side (g).

For the benefit of all my northern friends, we spent Sunday afternoon floating around an island on the lake in 85 degree sunshine and an occasional dip in the water. I thought life was perfect until a 29' Fountain Fever pulled up and I saw it was full of nearly teen-aged kids--I only hope in my next life I come back with rich parents!

Thanks. If anyone has a GPS that they're not using or have replaced, let me know.

------------------
Steve Smith
Cullman, AL
scsmith@hiwaay.net

Steve Smith
05-03-2000, 04:45 PM
I meant to add that the boat trip is a really neat event. We have a local insurance agent who is retired Navy who plans us a trip or two each year. Typically we'll have 10 to 12 boats with 40 plus people who will trailer to the launch spot on Thursday for dinner and a stay, then hit the river at 0800 Friday, travel to our destination Friday, play on Saturday, then boat and trailer home on Sunday.

If anyone is looking for a great trip and has not been to Green Turtle Bay, I would HIGHLY recommend it. The people are great and the facilities are perfect!

RickR,GroveCity
05-03-2000, 08:57 PM
Steve
Go ahead and buy one. They are very handy especially at night.
I use a Garmin 48 handheld in the Donzi and a Garmin 128 built in for the "other boat"
A reccomend both units.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Donzigo
05-03-2000, 09:08 PM
what year is your Z-25? Mine is 1987.

Steve Smith
05-04-2000, 08:04 AM
Mine's a Teal/White 1988 with a 1992 454 Magnum that I bought in June of 1998. I ALMOST sold her in March, thinking that I wanted to "upgrade" to an older 27' Formula with twin small blocks but on the trip to the lake to demo my boat, I realized that I would be moving backwards--less speed, double the headaches, close to double the gas and I have one of 2 Z's (that I am aware of) in a 3 county area in North Ala. (as luck would have it, the other Z-25 is 1/2 mile from my place on Smith Lake and is a georgeous 1988 Yellow with a 1992 engine--his is in much better shape than mine).

The initial owner of mine kept it on a life in the Keys and probably did some heavy buffing on the front every year or more which has resulted in the fiberglass being very thin--you can see the sub-structure through the glass when up close. It's a project that is going to have to wait.

My immediate project is to repair all of the cuts and nicks on the engine hatch. I just bought a very nice vinyl repair kit off of e-bay and am going to give it a whirl. At the very worse, I can get everything sealed which will last me until fall when I can take everything apart and get it reupholstered. The only problem is that if I re-do the deck, I'm probably going to need to re-do the seat back and will lose the embroidered "Donzi" which I do NOT want to do.

Sorry to be so long. It's early Thursday am, I'm at my office getting ready to work all day and I would rather be on the lake!

Bandit
05-04-2000, 11:58 AM
Steve,

I had my boat reupholstered this past year and I didn't lose the "DONZI" sign on the seats.

I took the material(red) for the top of the bolster seats and the top of the back bench seat and had them embroidered(white) before the material was sewed back together.

It only cost $35 and it looks great!

------------------
Bandit...