PDA

View Full Version : First Donzi/Opening Day

EricG
05-02-2000, 11:35 AM
After hunting for over a year, I just picked up my first Donzi. It's a Yellow and White '88 Z21 (I need the Cuddy for that great Seattle rain). Anyone want a 1969 Century inboard? I don't have room for 2 boats.......

Anyone in the Northwest going out for the big Opening Day celebration this weekend?

I'll be tied up next to a 1937 42' trawler called the "Viking", and there will be a Blue/White 22 foot Donzi (not sure what model yet) with us also.

Finally, I need to thank Donzigo for all of his great info on the Z boats!!

Eric G

RickSE
05-02-2000, 12:05 PM
If I was you I'd make room and keep that Century, they don't make them like that anymore. My dad has a fully restored 66 Black Raven, one hell of a boat that always gets looks.

Donzigo
05-02-2000, 06:45 PM
Congratulations for your kind comments about Donzigo. You are gonna love being a Donzi owner. Have fun!

Richard

Emmo
05-06-2000, 05:19 PM
When I was in school in Tuscaloosa, Earl Tennyson, the owner of an auto parts store, had a battleship gray Century inboard. When I asked him about it, he told me to climb up in it and take a look at the engine. When I pulled the engine hatch, I noticed first-off that it had a 190 HP sticker on one of the valve covers. Then I noticed that it had 2 four-barrel carburators. Then I realized it was an FE series Ford motor. He knew I would get a kick out of that, since I have been a Ford fan since birth. According to him, he bought the boat from a friend of his in Texas that was a neighbor of A.J. Foyt's. A.J. sold the boat to him because it kept overheating. When he brought it back , he got his machine shop manager to take a look at it and evidently, A.J.'s Indy mechanics had put the head gaskets on backwards! He replaced the head gaskets and, since his insurance man thought that the boat only had 190 HP, he put that sticker on it, even though it was a 427 side-oiler wedge engine! We took it for a ride and he had a policeman buddy of his clock us coming underneath the Lurleen Wallace bridge on radar at 68 mph, which is darn fast for a 24' inboard. Hearing you guys talk about Centuries makes me wonder where that old boat is. Earl was older than dirt in 1978 and he drank and smoked, so I am sure he is long gone.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>