PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Meeting...Southern California !!

Stan
05-02-2000, 01:56 AM
How about a Donzi Meeting here in Southern California ? Lake Castaic, Lake Elsinore

Or Central California

Or August 12 (?) at The Lake Tahoe Classic Boat Show

If the guys on the east coast can put one together …why can't we ?

Yout Thoughts……

Stan

Randy Hibbard
05-02-2000, 02:54 AM
You can count on me Stan! I don`t think the Olando get together can ever be beat, but any kind of a get together on the west coast would be fantastic. How about it Nick and Mike? Lots of Californian $ out here for the best new performance boats on the market! Tahoe sounds perfect by the way.

------------------

Randy

harbormaster
05-02-2000, 08:10 AM
Randy, and San,
If you guys are serious about wanting to do a Cali get together let me know. I will help anyway I can.
I will do a web page to help organize it.
Call me after 5pm central standard time at 281-480-2466 and give me your phone number. I will call you right back on my quarter (I have free long distance).
You will need hotel and marina participation so that everyone has a place to stay and launch/moor their boat. I can also call Nick and Mike at Donzi to see if they are in the position to provide any help.
The only thing that might be working against you is the small number of registered Donzi owners in California (12). I know there are more Donzis than California. How do you plan to get the word out in your home state and surrounding areas?

Scot
The Harbormaster

RickSE
05-02-2000, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm in Flagstaff and would probably bring my 96-18'. Tahoe sounds cool, don't know where the other lakes are. I haven't heard about the Tahoe Classic show, do they have year restrictions? How can we find out more about it? How about Havasu, closer to guys in NM & TX? Powell is probably to out of the way for everybody, but it sure is one hell of a lake, especially if you like rough water.

MattM
05-02-2000, 10:32 AM
The Concours d' elegance is a great boat show in August. Last year there was around 100 wood boats at Sierra boat works and one plastic boat allowed to remain in the marina, a 28' Cigarette. It would be cool to have it in conjunction with the wood boat show to see it and also there's a lot of media and cool stuff going on. Gar Woods is a very cool restaurant next door to Sierra boat works and they have a dock that would hold at least 20 boats without rafting if my memory serves me. That would be a good base. I've spent a little time at Tahoe, and every time I go I see at least 10 Classic Donzis, so I'm sure there has to be at least 50 on the lake. I met 2 families at the Orlando meet with boats in NoCal. There are a few of us up here in OR and WA. Needless to say, I think this is a great idea, now I better go find my Riddlin before I blow a fuse!

RickSE
05-02-2000, 03:40 PM
The Tahoe show looks neat but it's "wood only". http://www.tahoeyc.com/concours.html

HOWARD O
05-02-2000, 10:28 PM
It would be great to have a Donzi meeting for us West Coasters! My brother and I drove up to that show a couple of years ago with some friends, it was amazing! And the only fiberglass boat I saw was in the Sierra Boatworks, a 21' Hornet! Even caught the attention of some of the people!

It's a long way to trailer from San Diego, hope I can talk my brother into it, it's his boat after all!!!

jon v don z
05-03-2000, 01:31 AM
hmmm meet at tahoe, eh? a bit of a long haul from pdx, but could be fun. wonder about accomodations, slip/moorage etc? hate to get there and find no room at the inn

Stan
05-08-2000, 02:00 PM
WOW !!!!

Great response on a get-together. Sorry I have not added to the discussion but I just got back from Acapulco, Mexico ( I'm also leaving for Cabo San Lucas this Thursday morning...life's tuff here in so cal )

Lodging in Tahoe might be difficult during the Antique boat show in Tahoe.
Madpoodle…have you confirmed that we are not welcome at the show ? boo-hoo

Another thing to consider is the altitude….6500 feet !!! Unless you have the right prop, you definitely won’t have the speed you like. Also, Lake Tahoe strictly forbids 2-stroke engines…NO Outboards.
If we can make it work, Lake Tahoe is definitely a beautiful place.

Lake Havasu might not be such a bad idea. Hotel space is limited on popular weekends. There is only 1 hotel that has reserved, overnight in-water docking, with security. Otherwise we have to take em out at night. There might be a hotel with a sandy beach to park in front of, but I don’t really know. Altitude 450 feet, fresh water. The weather at Lake Havasu is definitely HOT ! 110 + degrees during the summer ( it’s a dry heat ! ) A bimini top is recommended ( I don’t have one ).

I have never been to Lake Havasu, I was going to try to go there in 2 weeks to check it out.

Although I don’t think we’ll get the same response ( appreciation from the crowds) as at the Lake Tahoe show, the party at Lake Havasu is supposed to be GREAT !

Lake Meade…not a bad choice either.
Lake Powel….too far for us so cal guys…sorry… but a great spot

Things to consider:
Where do we think we’ll get the best turnout ?
How many Donzi’s are there already on Lake Tahoe? How do we contact them ?
Will the Lake Tahoe & Northern Calif. guys travel to Lake Havasu ?
How many can we get from nearby states ?
The date ?

Let the voting begin…

My vote is Lake Havasu

Stan

RickSE
05-08-2000, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure. Havasu is probably a good central location, but I'm like you Stan I have never been there. I'd say if we did something there we do it late in the summer when temps. are cool. There is also Lake Mohave.
What about Lake Shasta? Seems like a neat lake, but I'm not sure about facilities. Probably to far though for those in TX, NM & AZ.
I think we need to scout out Havasu so more and check into the Tahoe show and see if we would be welcome.