PDA

View Full Version : First Ride

PaulO
05-01-2000, 02:19 PM
Despite less than ideal weather and suffering from a nasty cold, I launched the Donzi this weekend for its trial run after a long winter full of updates. 1973 2+3 Here is the short list:
Repowered from SBC/Volvo to SBC/Alpha
Moved steering from Port to Starboard
Repainted transom/deck in Imron
Installed new guages/switches
Installed windshield

I kept the motor from the donor boat which was a 260 Mercruiser. I swapped cams and intake and replaced the risers. I reworked the stringers to accomodate the new motor. I used the Morse rack and pinion steering along with the power assist. I used the donor boat's merc single lever control with trim/tilt switches.

Happily, there were no show stoppers. I got the engine running and the shift cables adjusted in the driveway and only had to make minor adjustments to idle and shift once in the water.

The wind was horrible so the bay was way too rough to do any speed testing. But I can report some interesting things. Although hard to describe, the boat handling is completely different. Operation at all speeds is much smoother and quieter ( this can be due to many things. I will not speculate). The poor shifting that many Merc owners complain of is negligible. The outdrive seems to "carry" the boat much more at both bow and stern. Even trimmed in, the bow rides higher. Of course, trimming out produces unbelievable results. The whole boat rises up out of the water and does its little chine walking dance. Steering is great and overall handling is much improved. Even at high trim angles, the boat is much more stable and corners better.

Unfortunately, I do have an oil leak that needs to be fixed. I had a funny looking timing cover that I decided to go with anyway. I think that is the source. Hopefully, I will be able to fix it without pulling the motor.

Many thanks to all for questions answered and suggestions offered. Without GEO's input, I probably would have talked myself out of moving the steering. That would have been a big mistake as it rides perfectly at speed. Thanks to Gene D. for many pointers on the stringer thing and the transom hole. Thanks Chris for egging me on. Now, get yours done!

Paul

CDMA
05-01-2000, 06:25 PM
I am trying. All is in order with the exception of one part. I need a steering fork for the volvo with a 1 inch shaft. Do all of you know that believe it or not there are 3 different volvo steering forks. Just to make my life difficult. There is a lot of work left to be done but with the exception of that part we will just have to reassamble after we paint ( Engine already in) . Gunning for early june but Early July is more likely.

Chris

AVickers
05-01-2000, 07:01 PM
Chris,

I can get the part you need...

Get me a diameter for the shaft, a from the top of the yoke to the end of the shaft, and a spline count. I assume that the helmets are all the same so that the distance between the ends of the yoke isn't an issue??????

The guy said $100.

[This message has been edited by avickers (edited 05-01-2000).]

CDMA
05-01-2000, 08:12 PM
Avickers,

I will e mail you tommorow

Chris

AVickers
05-02-2000, 01:40 AM
Ok,

I'll be in Houston on Thursday. I think I can swing by and pick something up for you at that time...

al

GEOO
05-02-2000, 09:09 AM
Paul,
Congratulations!!! I'm jealous. My boat won't be in until the end of the month. Glad to hear we could help. Keep us posted on the performace change from the Volvo to Alpha.
GEOO

GeneD
05-04-2000, 10:34 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the man! And your observations are food for thought for other Volvo 270 owners.
Yeah, I just may have to come up there for that Poker Run just to run with you guys.
Your decision to move the steering, though not purist, was the right move. I loved the way my Alpha got that boat up out of the water. There are times that I wish I still had that thing. With the Alpha One, you can trim to the moon. The SS is not so good with that. Once you get up to speed, any more trim will bring the bow up, but slow the boat down and kick a huge rooster tail.
Ask ScotB and JimmyC, it's very pretty.
Here's one for you oil cooler fanatics.
I had a pre-four barrel opening throttle setting for approx 1 hour (4000 RPM's). The oil pressure stayed at 60 for a while then dropped to 40. The temp rose to about 175. When I finally stopped at the entrance to the ramp, the oil pressure dropped to about 10 PSI, then as the motor cooled, the pressure rose to it's normal idle pressure of 40.
I'm thinking that it is not due to no oil in the crackcase due to extended high RPM, I've got all the trick oil things in there to prevent that.
I'm running Mobil One Synthetic.
Ooops, did I let out that little secret?
What do you all think? Oil cooler?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

PaulO
05-04-2000, 11:49 AM
Gene,
My guess is that it is definately a temp thing and not an oil supply thing. There is no cooling air flow over the oil pan as there is in a car. I can't imagine that oil temp is not an issue for everyone without an oil cooler. Although I do not have an oil temp gauge, I did notice much less of an oil pressure drop after extended runs once the cooler was added.
Paul

RichF
05-04-2000, 08:08 PM
Hi Paul:
Congrats!! The weather is supposed to be great this Sunday. You should be able to go full blast.......WOT.....etc.etc. .Let us know how the boat tests out. I'm glad it got a "new lease on life"

------------------
Rich mailto:fngrht@aol.comfngrht@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RichF (edited 05-04-2000).]

RickR,GroveCity
05-04-2000, 08:41 PM
Gene
Your oil is getting hot.
When I let my oil get to 260 the pressure drops from 65 to 50 above 3000rpm and down to 15 at idle.
My manual says 30 to 60 psi@2000 for 350
Since you are running Mobile I it may not hurt your oil but I'd bet the salt water is doing some damage.
Make sure you let the engine cool down before you shut down, you could sieze up the bearings.
I reccomend an oil temp gauge (Rex Marine) and an oil cooler.

------------------
RickR mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

jimmyc
05-04-2000, 11:03 PM
yes gino,
you are correct on that rooster tail.....so pretty in the florida sunset.....hey scott b., (just north of cuba and still south of elian) is that sawgrass that i see? http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif
jimmy

rayjay
05-05-2000, 08:44 AM
Has anyone tried the Chevy h2o oil cooler used in newer hp SBC's? It is a plate that mounts between oil filter and block that is plumbed into h2o cooling system off the h2o pump. It uses the cooling h2o to cool the oil. This would seem to be perfect for closed engine compartments where it is hard to get air to flow over an external air oil cooler. rj