PDA

View Full Version : West Systems Advice

digitalMan
05-01-2000, 12:23 PM
I'm using West Systems to repair the seat mount and some stress cracks in my 16.

The West Systems manual says I should put 3 to 6 thin coats of straight resin on top of the 407 fairing compound, then sand it smooth with progressively finer papers.

Does anybody know if this step is necessary if I plan to paint over the repair. Keep in mind it may be as much as 2 years before I paint.

Thanks.

Forrest
05-01-2000, 04:12 PM
Do what they say and also put some kind of paint over the epoxy repairs if you are going to need to wait any longer than a few months to apply the primer and topcoat. UV breaks down epoxy resin.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 05-01-2000).]

digitalMan
05-01-2000, 04:26 PM
Thanks Forrest. Do you think I could just apply a primer over the repair? It'll look like a junker, but if it protects the repair until I prep it for paint I don't care.

If so, can you recommend a primer that will do the job? Preferrably cheap since it won't be staying long...

Thanks again.

Forrest
05-01-2000, 04:36 PM
Cheap primer in a spray can! Just need to keep the UV off! Good luck!

AVickers
05-02-2000, 01:36 AM
Whatever...

Shoot the primer, sand it, and shoot some kind of topcoat -- even it it's Krylon...

You can pretend you're a redneck.

Epoxy isn't UV-stabilized and primer isn't waterproof. Some kind of topcoat -- any kind -- will be better than no kind. When you really want to paint it, you can sand it back down to the primer -- or the base.

digitalMan
05-02-2000, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I asked.

Avickers, my redneck boat should fit right in in Charlotte. All it needs now is an electric trolling motor and a seat on the bow.... http://206.150.187.82/ubb/smile.gif

Scott Pearson
05-02-2000, 04:39 PM
You cau use a product called DP LF Epoxy. It is made by PPG. It will not alow any water to be absorbed into the under layment. It comes in a couple of colors.

DP LF 40 Gray Green
48 White
50 Gray
60 Blue
74 Red
90 Black

You want to mix it as follow:

2 Parts DP LF
1 part DP 401 LF
1 Part DT 870 or 885 depending on temp.

once you mix the product wait a half hour induction period before you spray it on.

(NJ) Scott