PDA

View Full Version : Preaching to the Choir... my impressions of our Donzi

JimG
03-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Now that I’ve had a little time to digest the first few hours with our new-old Donzi, here are some impressions:

I owned the Donzi for almost a month before I splashed it. Tinkering, fondling, gazing fondly. Humming an old Springsteen tune…”there she sits, buddy, just a-gleaming in the sun…” every time I looked it’s way. I couldn’t wait to get it wet.

Once she hit the water, and I fired the engine, I started feeling what this boat was all about. At idle, the vibrations came up through my spine making me feel something I’d never felt before. If Carroll Shelby, or Lance Reventlow, had ever built a boat this would be it. Like a Harley on steroids, you could almost hear and feel every cylinder hit! Floating free of the trailer, I revved it a little. The gunwhale dipped noticeably, creating ripples in the calm water.

My baby climbed in, and we followed the others out into the lake. I pushed the throttle forward and she effortlessly jumped onto plane. I opened the throttle a little more, the gunwhale dipped again we rocketed forward! I know we weren’t going that fast, but the sensation of speed was incredible! The Donzi reminds me of my old 1970 Norton 750 Commando. Not all that fast, (I only saw the century mark twice), but you felt that old beast BREATHE! The Donzi speaks back to me everywhere it touches, hands, feet, seat…you feel every move, and vibration.

The hull knifes through waves like no other 18 footer I’ve ever been in. Smooth, and responsive with tons of feedback through the wheel. (I know some don’t like that, but for me it’s part of what this boat’s all about.) The only time I hit hard was when I misjudged the angle of a wake. Even then, the solid old Donzi never shuddered. It just thunked right through it.

Janet and I love everything about our Donzi. Even the dings, and it’s faded gelcoat. They just show that she was enjoyed. And the old yellow Donzi is just plain beautiful! There’s a symmetry in it’s profile that’s not matched by any other design in our opinion. Heads turn everywhere when she rumbles by.

It’s hard to believe that I was only ten years old when my Donzi was built. We’ve both had good lives and are showing our age a little, but we still know how to have a good time. She’s found a good home.

Thanks to you good folks for helping us along, the way you did. You led us well…

JimG & Janet Marie

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-19-2003, 04:12 PM
JimG & Janet Marie
I have followed your story, congrats...
Keep us posted with more picture.

Best of luck to you guys.
Bryan

Team Jefe
03-19-2003, 04:21 PM
A few observations of my own.

1. Donzi + Water = Sh*t-eatin' grins!
2. The 18 classic is easy to spot on the water...in yellow its impossible to miss.
3. Had my first ride in an 18 last Saturday, I now fully understand the love affair all y'all have with them.
4. 40 mph in Jefe's Revenge seems like we're just cruising along. In an 18, you're flying. Very Cool.
5. J&J are first class folks, like all Donzi-nuts I've met. Via Con Dios Amigos.

JEFE

Kent Perroux
03-19-2003, 04:33 PM
It is funny how some of us that have 18's for a while, enjoy the ride and sometimes get a little bored at 60 unless there is some water to get her flying.

But put a new passenger in the boat, that is used to a 22' ski or family boat and never been more than 35, and you get those darned dents in the hand-holds.

BigGrizzly
03-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Great rendition it sounds like poetry. I get the same feeling when in my boats, you just put it into words

Tony
03-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Ditto...very well said Jim.
I was 13 when my '67 Ski Sporter (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198) was built, and I am kind of a Springsteen fanatic. Let me know if you want to look over my list of bootleg shows, about 60 of them on 150 discs!

Fish boy
03-19-2003, 08:08 PM
Wow Jim,
I don't think I have ever seen anyone put into words the soul of our donzi addictions as well as you just did. Glad you have such a bad case of Donzi-fever, and may you never find the cure.

Fish

Tomahawk
03-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Beautiful. Thanks Jim

BUIZILLA
03-20-2003, 06:22 AM
I need a tissue..

J

Ed Donnelly
03-20-2003, 08:37 AM
Ain't love grand!!! Ed

CDMA
03-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Nice post!

Chris

Ok so that means my 18 was built 14 years BEFORE I was born.... eek! eek!

McGary911
03-20-2003, 10:15 AM
I took my maiden voyage this past Sunday, and I know where youre coming from for sure (I'm just not as eloquent). It makes you feel pretty good knowing why you waited, why you saved all that $$, why you passed on some boats that werent the right one...I felt like John Belushi in the blues brothers when he "sees the light" in James Brown's church.

Another thing we have in common, I was also 10 when my boat was made. I just never thought of it that way.

Best of luck with the boat!

MOP
03-20-2003, 06:49 PM
I like many have been following your episodes, now reading your post makes me truly believe you qualify for the titles of SMITTEN, AFFLICTED, or what I like to call a true DONZITE!

Waiting for our warm weather so we can tell our tales!

Here's to Bugs in your TEETH!

knee deep
03-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Dammit I was only 7 when mine was built, hell its the same age as my kid brother!

Moody Blu'
03-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Great post man, I feel like that every time I start her up.

My Donzi was built 4 years before I was born :)

I love pullin up to dutchmans in it :D

Ed Donnelly
03-20-2003, 11:03 PM
I was only 40 when my Criterion was built,and 20 when my sweet 16 was built. My next step will be when I am 60 and that will be,Whoops they didn't build Donzi's then...Ed

MOP
03-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Crap I was fifty one when mine was built! You guys no how to hurt a fellow!

Silver Streak
03-22-2003, 11:41 PM
I will admit to 40 eek! when the Silver Streak was built.

Rick

KRAVEN
03-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Truer words were never spoken!
STILL IN JAMAICA.
P.S.Water + DONZI= :D

mphatc
03-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Ahh the memories . . . I was all of 15 when I spent alot of time in an 18 and learned to waterski behind one . . . now 29 years later that memory drove me to buy our Corsican, which 4 months later still has not hit the water . . . eek! but this New England winter has been a dooozi . . Thank you for reminding why I did this! :D

Mario L.

DonziBuoy
03-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks Jim,

I too had my first DOnzi experience this Friday night and Saturday on the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I have a 1995 18 classic white with teal stripe, and a 350 mag. I had her shipped from Florida to Missouri. As she slipped off the trailer, I kicked her over and she started right up. All day, people came up to me as I was at a dock waxing and cleaning, asking what kind of boat this was. ALthough I would bet there are about 10,000 boats on this lake (It seems like it) there are not too many of these classics about. I was tied up at the dock right next to a 48 ft Sunseeker, a 28 Baja and a few Formulas. My compact Donzi, was out spectating the $1/2 million dollar boats. Later, as I took her out it seemed to me that everyone followed me out. The formulas and Sunseeker had to show me who was faster. I could be wrong but is there some boat envy here? Other super boats seemed to be coming over and checking me out. I never had the B#%lls to bring her up any faster than 50 MPH (at 3500 RPM). I was watching all the gauges and listening to anything peculiar. Ran like champ - I do not have trim tabs, and even at 40 MPH, this boat is flying out of the water! How do you guys go any faster? I could not see because of the wind! I was content to fly at 25- 30MPH (at 2200 RPm. I swear, it seemed like that engine was barely breathing- With a slight stab of teh throttle, it just takes off - The whole day out and barely went through 1/2 tank! I know you guys have all had this experience and heard it a thousand times, but it is a little (OK, a lot) like having sex for the first time, you just have to talk about it! Would love to hear more "first time" experiences and if anyone is on Lake of teh Ozarks.

BigGrizzly
03-23-2003, 04:47 PM
D Bouy, We donzi ites use a thing called sunglasses to keep the some of the tears away, but nothing can take the THRILL away. Yes there is envy from other boats. Every day people aske "What is the magic that Donzi has" Its simple, the boat looks like a sport boat is suppose to look. Kind like a foxy girl(for you guys_ or a hunk (for you ladies), you look and you can't see anything wrong! Thats the only way to explain it without going on for days and days~!

GEOO
03-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Man,,,, Winter's over, I can just taste the feeling of getting back in the 18... A couple more monthes!!!

JimG
03-31-2015, 03:23 PM
I wrote this 12 years ago, an eon in 'net time...

Folks have come and gone from our lives, (RIP Scot), we have gotten older and a little slower, (except for my wife, who never ages...). We have made great friends, and great memories.

But the one constant has been our Donzi. It is always waiting, under it's cover, to remind me that some things never change. It is still as beautiful as the first day I saw it. The old gelcoat still shines, proudly showing the bumps and bruises of 45 years of good living. I have done very little to the boat since I got it: NOS gauges, a new carb. But for the most part, it's in the same shape as it was in those first few sunny summers, running side by side with the Harbormaster, Jefe, CAPTWK and KRAKMEUP across Galveston Bay.

I started the engine this weekend. It rumbled to life without complaint, and settled to a contented burble. As I made my way around her, checking for anything unusual, I was reminded how special these boats are. No other boat could still give me goosebumps like this one, I never tire of looking at it, of touching it. Once described to me as a "good starting point for a restoration", this old Donzi won Silver at Keels & Wheels with nothing but a fresh coat of wax and some Armorall on the seats...

As I killed the engine, and reached for a cold beer, I thanked God for the opportunity to be it's care-taker. And promised myself, that as long as I am able, this old Donzi will be treated as she deserves to be. And cherished as a tribute to Don & Brownie & Jim & Walt and all of the other folks who were responsible for building, what it is, in my opinion, the most beautiful boat of all time.

jl1962
03-31-2015, 03:54 PM

Amen!
;)

Ed Donnelly
03-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Went to get mine out of storage today and there were 4 cars in front of it with no keys. Took the cover off and sat in it for 1/2 an hour.
They had to leave one of the employees with me as no one is allowed in there by themselves. The guy thought I was nuts just sitting there with a s*it faced grin...Ed

Carl C
03-31-2015, 06:23 PM
Great thread. Thanks for reviving it. I can't believe it's been ten years since I bought my 22C brand new from Pier 57. I ran it on the hose yesterday and she's all rigged and ready to rock as soon as the last of the ice is gone! This year will be my first AOTH and a bunch of us from OSO have a fun run planned on Saginaw Bay. It's gonna be a great Donzi summer. :)

gcarter
03-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Jim, thanks for resurrecting the thread!
Kinda tough counting the folks who're no longer w/us due to passing, divorce, etc..

BTW, Jim, when is Wheels and Keels ?

JimG
03-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone! I think sometimes I forget how great a fraternity this Donzi thing is...

George, Keels & Wheels is May 2-3...

yeller
04-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Great description! Loved, loved, loved blasting around in my 16. A better ride in my 22, but not nearly as much fun. The 18 is probably as much fun to drive as a 16, but with an even better ride. Best of both worlds I figure!

Hopefully you'll be enjoying it for years to come.

Marlin275
04-01-2015, 06:54 PM
The 18 is probably as much fun to drive as a 16, but with an even better ride. Best of both worlds I figure!

Amen

Best powerboat for its size

in the world . . .

RickSE
04-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Our 22 has sat now for almost 3-years without being used. Kids growing up and other adventures have kept our lives too busy to even think about taking it out. I don't have any thoughts to sell it but I can't believe how much things have changes in our lives and that this boat just sits now. :confused:

JimG
04-02-2015, 11:22 AM
RickSE, I feel you. Our boat sits for months a time. We have started using our center console boat as our "SUV"... it's much more practical for evening cruises and people hauling. So the Donzi sits a lot.

But every time I drag it out, I remember why I will never sell it. No other vehicle I own makes me this happy!:)

3rdDonzi
04-06-2015, 09:41 AM
My story of catching the fever re posted from several years ago.

When I was 10 years old I was on the gas dock at Holiday Marina on Lake Lanier in Georgia and a man pulled up trailering a brand new,'66 Donzi, white with green striping and interior. I can remember like it was yesterday walking up and looking at the boat on the trailer, the new smell of the resin and the mistique of the lines of the boat. It was the most beautiful thing my young eyes had seen.
After he launched the boat, seeing the way it set in the water and hearing it start, I caught the fever and that very day declared that one day I would have one myself.
Moved to South Florida at age 14 and Donzi's where everywhere. The fever only grew.
On my third Donzi now (X-18, Z-21 and '18C) and have not been without one for my entire adult life.
What special boats!
3D

chip w
04-15-2015, 01:17 PM
We bought our first Classic 12 years ago, a '69 Sweet 16 HM302. Yellow with a white stripe and interior. When I was a kid I dreamed about 2 vehicles, a Donzi and a 911. When my wife was pregnant we sold the 16 as it would be too loud and I could stand the thought of not using it. I sold it to a guy in St. Petersburg whose dad raced for Donzi in '66. He has entered it in a couple of shows in St Pete and has taken trophies home both times. Since then we have bought a 18C and now that my son is 4 we're on it almost every weekend. I'm also on my second '91 911. Both of these vehicles make me smile every time I sit in them and the grin grows with the twist of the key.

As I' nearly 47 years older than my son (I was 6 when my 1st Donzi was built) I plan on leaving him two things that are near and dear to me; an 18C and a 911 C2. I hope that they do for him what they do for me. He should at least have good memories of them. Learning how to ski behind the 18C and he already puts his hand on mine in the car to learn how to shift. How cool is that?!

It's great to see how many of us feel the same about our boats. There are fast boats & more comfortable boats but none with the soul and looks of a Donzi Classic!

Jraysray
04-21-2015, 11:58 AM
IS during the last visit at your place I went out and looked it over, ran my hands along the rail as I walked by. It's a special boat that should remain as is where is.

Scott

JimG
04-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks Scott! You can fondle my boat any time! LOL!:biggrin.:

Ed Donnelly
04-22-2015, 11:10 AM
We bought our first Classic 12 years ago, a '69 Sweet 16 HM302. Yellow with a white stripe and interior. When I was a kid I dreamed about 2 vehicles, a Donzi and a 911. When my wife was pregnant we sold the 16 as it would be too loud and I could stand the thought of not using it. I sold it to a guy in St. Petersburg whose dad raced for Donzi in '66. He has entered it in a couple of shows in St Pete and has taken trophies home both times. Since then we have bought a 18C and now that my son is 4 we're on it almost every weekend. I'm also on my second '91 911. Both of these vehicles make me smile every time I sit in them and the grin grows with the twist of the key.

As I' nearly 47 years older than my son (I was 6 when my 1st Donzi was built) I plan on leaving him two things that are near and dear to me; an 18C and a 911 C2. I hope that they do for him what they do for me. He should at least have good memories of them. Learning how to ski behind the 18C and he already puts his hand on mine in the car to learn how to shift. How cool is that?!

It's great to see how many of us feel the same about our boats. There are fast boats & more comfortable boats but none with the soul and looks of a Donzi Classic!

You dirty old man. I was 47 when we had Patrick,49 when we had Andrew
and 52 when we had Shannon..Fun when people think it's your grandson Eh?..Ed

Morgan's Cloud
04-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Guys kind of wear that as a badge of honor , especially if you've got a sense of humor. But you don't make that mistake with momma ! KAPOW :kingme:

chip w
04-23-2015, 07:56 AM

Right! The grandson comment never bothered me but my wife got it 3 times in one week at the grocery store from the employees. Something like "what a beautiful grandson you have". She was ready to murder everyone in the store!:mad: I thought it was kind of funny but we've been together long enough that I know when to keep those things to myself.

Ed Donnelly
04-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Right! The grandson comment never bothered me but my wife got it 3 times in one week at the grocery store from the employees. Something like "what a beautiful grandson you have". She was ready to murder everyone in the store!:mad: I thought it was kind of funny but we've been together long enough that I know when to keep those things to myself.

I have even had the Oh look daughter is taking her dad to the movies.
Was not so bad when I was 45 and she was 27. But now I am 70 and she is 53
It sure shows..a little off track to post. Sorry

Ralph Savarese
04-25-2015, 07:39 PM
My dad bought mine in 66 I was a year old sat in his lap to drive it that boat is part of my life and is now faster and better than ever